Mazda bought out my Nissan lease?

I just turned me 2019 Sentra in a few months early to lease a CX-5. Obviously super happy with the upgrade but I just heard about car manufacturers having imposed lease end restrictions meaning I would have had to turn the Sentra back in to a Nissan dealership. Is that still in effect? I went to a very large dealership in the area (though they do not have a Nissan dealer under their name at another location) but I was still confident they knew what they were doing. They contacted Nissan to get the buyout and I signed paperwork for them to request a title for the car and such. The Sentra is already up for sale on Mazda’s website. However I can still log in to my NMAC account and it shows an upcoming payment due. Just wondering if I should be preparing for a call from the dealership or from Nissan regarding this.

Has anyone had success with getting out of their Nissan lease recently but not turning it back in to Nissan or purchasing it themselves? I did not have a smooth transaction when leasing the Nissan so I am very weary of this.

Thanks!

Did the buyout number they used include sales tax? I wonder if they’re trying to process it as you buying it out and then reselling.

I don’t think so but this is the answer that makes the most sense out of anything I could brainstorm! They just had me log in to my NMAC app and get the payoff quote. They also gave me about $3k in equity which I was fine with because the car had been in an accident. They have about dozen 2019 Nissans on their lot which I’m guessing are all buyouts so they must have some workaround if Nissan is still imposing the restrictions.

That definitely suggests that they’re buying it out in your name vs doing a 3rd party buy out. In most areas, that won’t fly because NMAC tries to force first party buyouts through the dealer, however, some people have reported being able to do it directly through the web portal.

Do you have any idea when this will get processed with NMAC? Don’t want to get dinged for late payment. Also would that affect my credit or anything getting bought out in my name? I really appreciate your perspective!

was this done via a broker or direct with the dealer?

I can’t speak directly to NMAC, but I recently bought out my Honda lease and it took them a good 3 weeks to process everything. Without knowing how they actually processed things, it’s much harder to say.

No credit issue with buying it out. Either way, the account just shows as paid and closed.

1 Like

They might not have a Nissan dealership under the same name but they might be under the same corporate umbrella of a Penske or Lithia or Sonic etc. (conglomerates who generally do not add their name to all the dealerships they acquire).

1 Like

Just through the dealer to the best of my knowledge

if they have a nissan store, you’re fine. so like if you bought through, let’s say, ramsey mazda, they can buy a nissan b/c they also have ramsey nissan…

Yeah that’s what I meant when I said they don’t have one under their name in my original post. That situation would’ve made the most sense but is not the case. I’m thinking they processed it as me having bought it and selling it to Mazda

I wonder if they made a mistake and weren’t properly informed. Which Mazda dealer did the buyout? Also mind sharing the vin so I can check for any recent activity?

This week we took in an X7 lease from a customer who was informed via a Ford store they 100% can purchase a BMW lease, 45 mins later BMW confirmed only a BMW store can purchase the car…

1 Like

Northtown Mazda in Buffalo, NY. I did mention something to them as Toyota had told me they couldn’t buy me out. Sales consultant and manager both said they haven’t encountered any issues with Nissan lease turn ins

then they have a friendly nissan or infiniti dealer who will do the buyout for them. it’s not uncommon.

1 Like

Change ‘friendly’ to ‘will give us even more money for this car’ and this is a definite path.

Adding an updating for anyone who might be in this situation in the future: I just called the Mazda dealer and asked flat out how this all worked given the restrictions and they told me the Nissan dealer down the road processed my turn in. Nissan should become aware of this in a couple days (about a week after turn in). The dealer they mentioned was not the original Nissan dealer the car was from. They said it doesn’t matter, that the dealer down the road helps out with these things. My Nissan is currently for sale under a Kia dealer who shares the same umbrella name as the Mazda dealer. I had an awful experience with the dealership when getting into my Nissan so I’m very hesitant to trust the Mazda dealer will get this all processed for me but they haven’t actually given me a reason to believe that yet. Thanks for your help everyone!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.