Makes sense to lease 1st car for a new driver?

Hit up Cody carter on the forum for a manual corolla. Should be under $250 all in for a base model. Great first car. I lease cars for lots of family members kids and it works out great. Buying a used car can really crush a first time driver with maintenance issues when they have little income in college and need something reliable.

4 Likes

Subaru eyesight is amazing, have it on my 2018 legacy and it’s solid, it helped me avoid accidents.

But eyesight comes with automatic only.

1 Like

On a lease car you will need to fix every little cosmetic thing when returning but if you buy you can leave some things unfixed.
Obviously the wear and tear insurance will help but still

1 Like

I was in a similar situation couple years ago. Considered getting a cheap lease, but ultimately bought a ‘08 Honda Fit with rebuilt title. Cost me only $4k and the car has been great. Still have the car (daughters are in college) and actually drive it (leave the Y-chromosome at home).

1 Like

This would be my recommendation. Preface, I drove a cheap deathtrap in high school. Car didn’t have a working spedo (fine American vehicle from mid 1990s) and the transmission was on the fritz at 75k miles. I learned a lot about improvised fixes and replacing lightbulbs/fuses. Pretty standard car for a high schooler back then.

Some people just need the kid to be able to take himself/herself to school and help with the siblings and they have a limited budget. I get a cheap used car in that situation. But it sounds like OP is a little more flexible. A new base stickshift Toyota Corolla is going to be SO much safer than a 5-10 year old used car for maybe 50 bucks more a month upfront plus perhaps some repairs at the back end (you can always buy lease out too, car should last a long time). If budget permits I would definitely lease a base model new car or buy a 1-3 year old used car with all modern safety enhancements.

1 Like

I cannot stress this enough. The worst thing a parent can teach their children is a lack of personal accountability.

Which is what excess wear-and-tear waivers are.

4 Likes

Add “handing them a car” (leased or bought) and “paying for their insurance and gas” to the list. When I got my license, I had to start paying the increase to my parents insurance, and for the gas I used. I bought my first car and all my cars. My family and friends who were given cars either never learned the lesson, or learned in many years later (I have a family member older than me who works, parents retired, and I swear still gets help with cars, car payments, and insurance - the gas card went when they retired).

Inexperienced drivers (teens) are likely to get in all kinds of accidents, scrapes, and dings. A lease, where you have to return the collateral, isn’t a good candidate for this and agree with max isn’t teaching any personal responsibility.

OP can do whatever they want, but this was one of the greatest character-building aspects of my life. I would never deprive someone else of it.

3 Likes

My dad bought me a 1994 used Toyota Tercel car.

Paid for everything including insurance and maintenance.
Drove that car for 6 years in the mid 2000s and then we sold the car to a co-worker of mine since it was in great condition.

The co-worker drove the car like a sports car and he blew the engine. His father paid for the car.

As stated by others, insurance is thing to check. What’s the cheapest thing to insure is the route to pursue.

1 Like

I think this depends on a case by case basis and there is not an universal answer. I played 2-3 sports at a time plus AP/honors courses and clubs, so I did not have time in high school to earn money during the school year for a car, gas, and insurance. Now my parents said if I got any tickets or in any accidents, I would be responsible for the associated costs. I got a hand me down 8 year old car with 100k miles (it was a nice car though) and I wouldn’t say this taught me any less personal accountability. However, my two best friends each received brand new Audis when they turned 16 and while they babied their cars, they are not the most responsible in other aspects of their life. So I will agree with leasing a new car isn’t a good idea, but having to pay for everything else isn’t necessarily building character.

3 Likes

You don’t tell them you got it…do the opposite and tell them they have to pay for the damages…but DO fricking get it otherwise you are asking for trouble. You can teach them accountability and assume risk accordantly…it doesn’t have to be one or the other.
I’m intrigued by the “manual” requirement too…i think it’s to prevent texting but honestly that won’t work. If a 16 year old wants to text it will.

new lease all the way.

8 Likes

LOL…now that guy will pop up with the old car vs new car statistics fake news.

2 Likes

Almost every new car has android auto or apple car play so a manual won’t prevent that since you can send texts via voice.

See @chevysalesgirl post above. I’m not saying 2019 5 series for a kid. I’m saying base Civic/Corolla. My parents also gave me a deathtrap (1994 sable - see above for details) but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna repeat their mistakes.

Our family babysitter just got a car from her parents (new Camry - they care about safety and she is very responsible). She pays for gas babysitting for us but that’s about it since she is only available from 9-11 most weekdays and 7-11 on Saturday. Other than that her sports, extracurriculars, 5 IB classes take most her of time. And her parents were always ok with this and are super ok with it now since these activities just got her a scholarship worth about 75k at a US News top 25 University. For motivated high schoolers, working during the school year working often isn’t a smart tradeoff long term The level of commitment you need to be competitive at top schools makes it hard to work 10-20 hours a week. Sure she might have learned some lessons working more than 8 weeks during the summer but maybe she doesn’t keep her 4.0 GPA or become head of debate club, two things that certainly helped her get into good schools with merit based scholarships.

It definitely varies by kid. I was pretty lazy/didn’t do much so parents made me work and help pay for my car. My sister was a super high achiever - think multiple ivy league acceptance letters. She didn’t have time to work and she is definitely better off now having crushed high school, gone to an elite college and benefiting from her fancy diploma.

5 Likes

+1 for the accord manual

2 Likes

Yes and no on some of the safety features IMO

No to the ones that (albeit unintentionally) creep into bad driving habits. Eg, LKAS encourages one to take their eyes and maybe hands off the wheel while they “quickly” fire off just that one text. BSM encourages one to change lanes without manually checking their blind spots.

Yes to the other ones especially good headlights. Good tires are another thing easily overlooked

2 Likes

I think the structural integrity of new cars is the biggest deal (and headlights). I don’t think all the electronic safety features are that big of a deal and as you say they can instill bad habits. I think the video posted above of a 1998 versus 2015 Corolla is a big deal. There is a preconception that old cars were solid and built of steel yada yada yada. No old cars were deathtraps without proper crumble zones, bad breaks, etc…

1 Like

Yes, the manual helps curb down texting and checking the phone. It won’t help voice messages of course, via Airplay/Android auto, but it will tend to keep the phone on its holder.

I see many teens don’t only texting on a traffic stop (which is already bad), but I’ve seen them, from my truck and on my motorcycle, many teens text while going down the road, 45mph. Crazy.

I know, because I drive a manual, my wife drive a manual and we have an auto truck. It makes a difference. With a manual, in traffic, you can’t barely hold a mug of coffee.

Also, there’s the cool factor. I grew up with manuals, and I love them. So has the wife.

In addition, it’s less likely the kids will give the car to someone else to drive, as many still can’t drive manuals.

Thanks all for the valuable input. I’m really concerned only about all the door dings and scratches while parking now. Will see what can be covered on the lease agreement. I’ll definitely double check on the insurance.

1 Like

I would highly suggest getting lease excess wear and tear insurance for a first time driver. Small scratches and dings are generally ok, but she is bound to scrap a rim against a curb or bumper in a tight parking lot.

1 Like