M340xi screw in tire

I’ve replaced a few tires on AWD cars, including on a x drive X5. I’ve never had an issue with thread depth causing an issue.

OP, your screw is close side wall. It sucks to replace/ repair things on a car coming close to lease end, but I wouldn’t want to drive on a tire that may or may not fail

You are driving around in a (lease hacked) $60,000 3 series BMW. Buy 2 new tires. Make sure you keep the one that isn’t damaged just in case you need to replace the other 2 before the lease gets returned. Then you’ll only have to buy 1 tire.

2 Likes

Yeah if it were me I would plug it. Then get two new tires to ride on for a couple years. Before returning I would put the plugged tire back on. Now you have a safe ride on this car and also a set of tires to use with the next car.

I would never return a car with a tire that I thought was too unsafe to use myself.

4 Likes

They would replace the tires at the dealer before selling right?

How many dealers do you think x-ray tires on a used car looking for previous repairs?

Besides, you have no idea how many people are going to drive the car from the time it’s dropped off until the time the next consumer buys it.

Yes I’m sure the dealer would do the right thing and not the cheap thing!

1 Like

Was this from the time your tire got chewed up from the L.I.E?

Yes, because we love Long Island’s exemplary infrastructure.

PJ

1 Like

Champtires.com is a good used tire resource as well.

1 Like

That’s a fair point. For what it’s worth, on my last service of my last lease the bmw service guy told me to just get it plugged since I only had a few months left. I figured when they sold it they would have to get new tires with more tread anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, both places seems to have the tire I need with varying thread depths, plan is to measure the current thread depth of my tires and hopefully order something within 2/32 of it.

That doesn’t mean I have to blindly get two brand new tires :stuck_out_tongue: , we are on leasehackr, we try to get the best possible deals. If I can get a used tire with similar or near similar depth, don’t see a point in spending more on new tires with lease ending next year.

Have been hearing mixed opinions on this specially with RFTs, don’t want a blowout at high speed :sweat_smile:

Tired couple of shops, none seem to have it in stock.

I recently had a near sidewall puncture similar to your and got a used one from utires. The tire was in good shape but had a puncture professionally repaired which they do disclose on their site.

I saw that disclosure and mentioned it in the notes because Infiniti can charge you for plugs. One of the tires I received had a plug, I took a picture and reminded them of my note. They sent me a shipping label for the plugged tire and I received a tire without damage two days after I notified them. Great customer service.

Thanks everyone for the help, I measured the tires today and it is 8/32th on fronts, was able to order the same depth from utires (called them up and confirmed that the tire being sent is non-repaired one).

2 Likes

I would have plugged that. I don’t think I have had a car more than a year before I had to plug the tire.

As for run flats, I plugged the Michelin on the vette and the Goodyear on the Camaro, both run flats.

I showed the tire at 4 local shops and all said its too close to the sidewall for it to be repaired (One will willing to do it but said won’t recommend it)

3 Likes

That spot will tear that tire off the rim quickly.

Ever see a strip of tire on the road that looks like it was peeled off?
The weak point is right where the sidewall meets the tread. And your hole probably weakened it. That’s why no one will fix it.

Best to go with what the pros recommend for your safety and the safety of fellow motorists(ie I don’t want anybody’s tires exploding or coming off while I am driving nearby at 65 mph)

1 Like

I had same thoughts, don’t wanna risk myself or others on road hence getting rid of the current tire.

2 Likes