Low Budget Lease Reccs

I am relocating further from my work, and as such, I am hesitant to rack up miles on my 2019 S60.

I am looking for a basic but entertaining car that I can use to commute to work during weekdays, mostly highway driving, on a 15k a year lease.

Can anyone recommend good cars attainable for under $200 a month? I am not very picky but not a fan of Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, or Dodge. I would also prefer a brand that allows lease swaps.

Where are you moving to? If moving to the West Coast, give @ethanrs a shout. He posted this killer deal (that went quickly) today. May have alternatives for you.

3 Likes

Within NJ. I work in Central Jersey and currently live 15 miles from my office. Moving to North Jersey, about 60 miles from my office.

Working from home for the foreseeable future but looking at options for when I do need to go back.

BMW i3 for <$130

1 Like

This sounds like buy or lease a Civic Si. The real world depreciation will likely be well under $200/mo.

But you said entertaining - I took it as Civic Si, someone else said Trax. Which is why threads like this are pointless :poop:

4 Likes

Opportunity cost :man_shrugging: :joy:

1 Like

This is the definition of being picky

14 Likes

I’ll have what you’re having.

5 Likes

120 miles on the parkway everyday? My heart goes out to you!

2 Likes

Note that given a standard 5 day work week, this is over 30k miles per year in commuting alone. Are you sure you want to lease?

2 Likes

The first cardinal sin of leasing committed by OP - not being thorough with math…

1 Like

I still have my S60, so I would be splitting the commute between the two cars.

Turnpike actually!

15,000 x $0.20 = $3,000/year for 15k overage on S60. $7,200 with 0 down on a $200/mo commuter + insurance. Do the math. May be cheaper to pay overage if you have to commute for less than 2.5 years.
Edit: should be $0.25/mile at lease end. Don’t know if Volvo allows pre-paying at lower cost during the lease. Still may be better than getting the second car.

2 Likes

Don’t you New Jersey people still get that crazy rebate from the state on electrics?

3 Likes

We do. I have been looking at the i3 and the Bolt, but wanted to see if there are any other cars that lease well.

I had a new Trax loaner for a month. Was shocked that anyone makes a current day vehicle with such a gutless, underpowered drivetrain.

This seems like a no brainier for i3, unless op is a troll. If I was in NJ, There would’ve been a i3 in my driveway already.

In the unlikely event you are not a troll and are serious, and you haven’t read or researched anything in this forum. Currently to state of New Jersey residents, there is available a great BMW Lease option in an electric vehicle (i3) in order to get the extremely attractive price of sub $150 you need to have BMW loyalty. I think you can take it from here.

1 Like

I am in fact, not a troll. I have seen the i3 deals and read through the forums, but was interested to see if there were suggestions for other cars as well.

Keep in mind that the NJ EV program is supposedly running out of money or having the money reallocated due to the ongoing happenings in the world. If you like the car and can get a good deal you may want to act quickly before that happens.

1 Like