Looking to takeover a lease in the Bay Area (SF, Palo Alto, Menlo Park)

Hi All!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I’m moving to the bay area in late July for work and am currently looking to take over a lease.

Preferences:
Car Type: Coupe or Sedan
Time Remaining: 12-14 months
Miles / Month: Minimum of 650
Budget: $325 / month

Please let me know if you have any leads. Thank you!

You may want to provide a little more info. Car type, budget, etc. Also, take a look on swapalease.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve updated my post. :slight_smile:

Search swapalease and a craigslist aggregator such as searchtempest.

@MenloPark

keep in mind the following:

you’re looking to lease short term. That means whoever had the car before you already drove it 1-2 years which means you will probably be on the hook for new tires before you turn the car in. You will also be on the hook for the lease transfer fee to transfer to your name (unless you can get the other person to agree to pay it) and the disposition fee at the end of the lease. When you add it all up, the cost of a 12 mo ownership starts to not look so good.

Thanks for the feedback! I had not heard of the disposition fee at the end of a lease, nor the fact that tires needed to be replaced upon return of a leased car. I’ll look further into it. Thank you!

My only issue is I don’t see a better way to own a vehicle for only 1 year. I’m assuming that if I buy and sell a car within a year, I would lose even more than just taking over a lease. No?

If you only need a car for that short period of time, you might want to give this a try: https://drivecanvas.com/

There’s no transfer fee or disposition fee at the end.

That’s great. Thanks so much! It looks like they’re sold out for now, but hopefully pop back up by the time I move out there.