Looking to lease Plugin Hybrid in NY, most affordable and winter friendly?

2023 Leaf SV Plus MSRP $37620
-$7500 federal rebate
-$4000 NJ chargup
+$0 NJ sales tax exemption.
$26120 financed for 84 months is around $350/mo

2022 VW ID.4 MSRP $41,230
-$7500 federal rebate
-$4000 NJ chargup
+$0 NJ sales tax exemption.
$29730 financed for 84 months is around $395/mo

Putting $3000 down would get any of these below $300.
You can do even better with a balloon loan on them.

The Bolt will be even cheaper, next year, when it qualifies for the $7500 rebate again.

84 months tho, rip.

1 Like

Well if I had known we were talking financing at 84 months, then I mean yea

Realistically, the Fed rebate won’t be claimed, if they have enough liability, until the following year when they do their taxes for the year they bought their car, so they would still have to finance that $7500 in the meantime, again if they can get it.

Now that I ran the numbers, in NJ you could get a Bolt for under $300 even with the 2022 lease, the 2023 should be even better… but OP is from NY

In the case of the VW, the way to claim the rebate early is to purchase through a lease where it’s passed on as a cap cost reduction.

1 Like

Correct, as an ID.4 lessee myself, after all the fees I think I would only net around $6k after considering the $699 acquisition fee and a month or two worth of interest (sky high MF on the lease). Then you’d have to go through the hassle of finding financing, used rates (I guess), a little higher if you just bought it, a hassle, but yes achievable if need be

Not that bad actually, some Cus on my list offer the same for used and new.

Still not a bad increase for the ones who do, ironically I have been looking into 84 months rates recently :joy:

That’s effectively $433/month before taxes…

I think you need to read some leasing 101.

You’re all over the place with what you’re trying to do.

You can’t just shop the monthly payments. That’s how people get “fleeced”

Great way to live beyond one’s means.

1 Like

OP is in NY so Chargeup does not apply.

OP’s location was not clear in the original post and NJ was included.
I have since removed those references.

Blockquote

I am in New York, Suffolk County. I will add to my original post, but I wanted to mention that I am willing to drive 3-4 hours to pick up a vehicle if it’s a good deal as I’ve done in the past, from NJ, PA, etc .Thank you.

I get what you are saying, I don’t really shop for the monthly price, I am aware of the effective per month cost, perhaps I should have been cleared. My $300 target was after the 1st month, Taxes, Bank Fees and doc fees etc (capped in New York) which usually translates to about $1500 on 36 month leases.
I understand that things changed after covid. I also use the calculator, I used to check the MFs and RVs of cars, estimate $x below MSRP, or I used to go with advertised deals on car makers’ web sites, then just write off the “down payment” requirement and try to negotiate that. For example if Nissan had a deal $2999 down, $300/month lease on a $30k vehicle for 10k/36mo, I would check what % off people are getting if it’s about 10% then I would go and ask them to absorb the $3k down and we would have a deal. I’ve done leases on BMW’s at 9.5% off MSRP which is not amazing but not bad either. Again, I realize times changed, so I am just looking for $300/month lease payment for a dependable vehicle and since I have solar panels and I generate more than I use, I figured getting PHEV would be best bet for me. Seems like I have to broaden my search into other types, or even consider financing instead of leasing. If you or anyone has any other suggestions, I will need to consider those, or maybe I should just look into used car markets and visit lots (or wait another month to see if youtube clairvoyants are actually right)