Looking to lease a new crossover for $350 ish or less

Hi Leasehackr -

I am trying to find the best deals in family cars right now. We are trying to find an AWD crossover, ideally with safety tech like blind spot monitoring and collision avoidance. I personally would like to find something on the fun-ish side, but this will be my wife’s car so it’s not a priority.

Budget is around $350 a month, 36 months, 12K per year. Monthly payment can go to $370ish for something nice. I want to do 0 down.

Here are the current contenders:

Jeep Cherokee Altitude Edition 3.2L V6 AWD
Ford Escape SE 2.0L Ecoboost Sport Package
Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium Eyesight
Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight
Subaru Outback 3.6R Eyesight
Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
Honda CR-V EX
Honda CR-V Touring
Toyota Rav4 SE AWD
Volkswagen Tiguan R Line 4Motion

Of those, the Escape, CX-5 GT, Cherokee, and Outback 3.6 have my attention the most, and are also closest to blowing the budget.

Also willing to consider others, especially if there is a lease deal on them (Edge Sport? Anything "fun"ish?). Additionally, in the case of the domestics, I can likely get Employee Pricing codes on those.

Can you guys help point me in the right direction for the best leases?

I am located in the Chicago area.

• Matt

Funny that you did not include Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring w/eyesight :slight_smile:
Curiously, blind spot monitoring is not available on a Forester, but it’s a top safety pick w/eyesight. I bought one for my wife last December. She loves it and doesn’t care about “fun-ish” side, but it’s her 3rd Forester.
Also - there is 2017 Forester coming in late July-August with even more advanced safety features. The residual will be very high if you order then.

We have a few in our family. My feeling right now is they are too small for us and the larger Outback makes more sense.

I am going to the Subaru dealer tonight, and we will give it another look, however. :slight_smile:

If you think the Forester is too small you will think all the others are too small as well. They are basically all the same class, with the Forester/CRV having the most cargo.
Should be easy to score a nice deal on 16 Escapes with the 17s just hitting the lots and plenty available. CX5 and Escape seem to get high ratings as far as sporty driving goes. You won’t get that price on an Edge unless it’s 2015 SE or SEL most likely, doubt the Sport. The Cherokee s have good incentives now as well. Think some of these are better to buy with them though. Haven’t really considered most cause I want a little bigger than my current 13 Escape.

Agree with mdubdroid: Forester is actually very spacious and definitely has more cargo space than Outback and others.

We looked at the Escape last night. It’s off the list.

We have a 2 year old in a rear facing convertible seat, and the Escape was just too small. It was hard to get him in and out of the back, and once there, we had to move the passengers seat up so far as to make it uncomfortable.

I suspect that means the rest of the cars are questionable, but most of them have sliding fore-and-aft rear seats which should buy us some significant extra space. Cargo capacity isn’t as much of a concern as long as the stroller and some small luggage fits in the back. We will simply eliminate the cars without sliding rear seats, so the Escape is gone.

Going to look at the CR-V and Outback tonight, both of those are strong contenders.

i have 1 rear, 1 front facing car seat in my Escape. doesnt slide, but does recline, making it easier to adjust (not sure if you attempted that?). i will say, once its front facing, it is much easier going in and out, with enough leg room for the baby, that you can still move the seats back without feeling them kick the back of the seat.

CRV and Outback should have a bit more legroom making it easier with the rear facing for now as well. maybe not a ton available, but might want to see if you can locate a 16 Sante Fe as well. they are really pushing the 17s more, since the 16s didnt do as well for whatever reason. Sante Fe Sports are bigger than these as well, a bit closer in size to the Edge.

I looked at Santa Fe sport ultimate loaded residual is horrible lease is almost $400

I’d look at the Equinox. It is bigger than all of the Escape/CX-5 sized cars you’re looking at. Personally, I don’t get why people like Foresters, or Subarus in general, they burn oil, have cheap looking interiors, and are very noisy inside. Then again, the Forester we had constantly overheated due to a head gasket leak so I am biased. You can definitely get a nice Equinox for under $350 a month will all fees rolled in. We leased one in December (AWD LT V6 with Nav) and with all fees and taxes rolled in it would have been $299 a month, but we paid those upfront so it’s $240 a month.

Edited to add: Just an FYI Subarus usually don’t lease very well

any worse than the others…thast prob $37-38k msrp…at mid 50s residual? id be surprised if any of these are high 50s/low 60s

Yes, you are biased. We’ve had 2009, 2012 and now 2016 Foresters and never had any of these mechanical issues and 0 problems at all. Yes, they are not pretty and older ones did have cheap looking interiors and were quite noisy. Radio was horrible and they had 4 speed transmission. There are better looking and more polished SUV’s out there. But Subaru is much more mainstream now. 2016 has nice interior, inside noise is down, CVT, top safety and resale value. They have Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive standard and very spacious. What’s not to like if you need a safe, dependable small SUV?

1 Like

should’ve mentioned before, with the kids in the back; deal breaker for me was not having rear AC vents on the 16s. maybe the 17 will, but still annoys me that its not on current version.