Looking to get rid of negative equity and cars

24 and my current score is 720

The good news is that you are young and have a good credit. Can you refinance both loans at a lower rate?

Did you get a Carvana, VROOM, etc. appraisal? CarMax is known for low offers.

Sell 1 car and fix the other. Do not start leasing more cars on trade-in.

No lender is going to refinance what is owed when the values are that low.

1 Like

I would head on over to reddit’s r/personalfinance. You need to find a way to sell at least one of these cars, probably both. There’s some great advice over there.

@Deloris_Van_Cartier - Can you provide more info on the cars, such as:

• Year
  • Mileage
  • Finance rate and terms of loan

Did you roll in any negative equity into any of the loans?

:confounded:

At least, you sound like you learned from this. Unless you are at risk of defaulting on your payments, never roll a debt into a bigger one for the sake of lower payments. If you have money, sell one or both and close the loans. If not, get a second job, side hustle etc to bring extra income with a goal paying off highest rate loan in the fastest way. The road to financial freedom is straightforward but you need to be disciplined and committed.

If you own the cars outright see what your private party sale could get you. It will be at least $1-2k more than a wholesaler.

I’m still struggling to understand though how bad the initial loan terms were to get that underwater.

Cut your loss and try to sell the gli yourself. You’ll get a few grand more if you do some work. Just check what they are selling for in your area. You will save on registration and insurance also. No point in having 2 cars in this pandemic.

Seriously. Why are we even discussing Carmax offers?

Don’t ask me :laughing:. Great for YouTube content!

The wagon is at 11% and gli is at a 12% which I didn’t understand why cause of my credit score. I can get both of them refinance but I really just want to get rid of them both and start over. I can keep up with the payments with no problem but I can’t save as much as I want paying for the two. I have had talks with my mom and asked if she wanted to take over the loan for the wagon since she doesn’t have a car but I’m not really holding my breath.

Because the dealer marked you as somebody financially illiterate. Unfortunately many dealers love to take advantage of people like you. The same kind of person who buys another car due to a mechanical breakdown is the same sort of person who doesn’t competitively shop cars and loans.

Edit: I don’t want to sound mean but you need a financial intervention.

5 Likes

You need to find a way to refi those loans. If you have good credit, you may be able to get an unsecured loan with a better rate behind it, or you may be able to pay down the loans a bit to at least get them to market value for the cars and then refi with a traditional loan.

Those interest rates are killing you.

Ouch. Are these 5 or 6 year loans? I strongly recommend looking into refinancing one of the loans if you can. Check out a credit union. Penfed comes to mind, but as @BoardWalkNJ stated, you might not have much luck since you are so much under water.

Suntrust’s unsecured loans might be of interest.

1 Like

Getting out of a high interest loan is still going to leave you with that debt PLUS new debt of a vehicle that is just going to depreciate.

I would list both cars for sale privately, on FB, Craigslist, put a sign in the window etc. Sell whichever one goes first unless one car is in obvious need of major repairs soon.

I hate the idea of “burying” debt. The point is to dig your way out slowly and learn from it, not expect some overnight fix to your problems by moving the debt under something new or shiny.

Those interest rates are insane. If a bank won’t refinance you Id seriously go to a family member if you could and ask them to pay off the car and loan you the money at a lower rate and give them the title to hold. I’d say ask your parents but from the comments you made it does not sound like they are any more financially literate.

1 Like

But I’m sure the OP shopped the clutch price around at an independent shop :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Please don’t take any other financial advice from your parents.

12 Likes

I think when you want to finance it is better to have your own bank/credit union as a reference, for some reason, I don’t believe dealer can find the best bank for you