I’ll start with I understand none of you can predict the future. With that said, I have a 2018 Pathfinder lease which is up at the end of June. I have been monitoring the equity situation and for the first time just this week it appears I may have some positive equity (1000-1500).
Along with the rest of America, I am looking for another 3 row SUV at some reasonable value. My current top 2 are Highlander and CX-9. The broker deals I have looked at for the Highlander are ok, but by the time you include 15,000 miles (which I need), broker fees, and possibly shipping you are in the high 400s for an xle. CX-9 appears to be in same ballpark and probably even higher. I have spoken to a few dealers near me with whom i have a casual relationship with and 7% seems to be the max pre- incentive discount on anything, with 4-5% more likely. These numbers generally put me in the same range as the brokers once you add everything up.
These are numbers which one year ago or less many of you (including me) would have laughed at, but this is the market today it seems. My quest for opinions:
Do I take advantage of my positive equity sooner than later and just deal with the lousy buyers market, or do I take my chances by waiting until June to see if anything loosens up but risk losing some equity and dealing with an even worse market instead?
Again, I know none of you can be certain, but I am interested to know the thoughts of some people who are way more clued in than I am on this subject. Thanks in advance.