Looking for BMW i3s BEV allocation

You’ll find it, but it may still be at or around MSRP. Which isn’t necessarily bad news, I think these cars are worth $300-$400/month. Especially for one of the last builds. Shoot for invoice at base money factor, but be prepared to get $1,000-$2,000 off.

A Giga interior may be slightly more rare and East Coast dealers oddly don’t realize they should be equipping BEV’s with a heat pump.

BMW wouldn’t have let you add HK anyway since even if it’s on the build it’s been completely pulled from production. Thankfully I got confirmation that they upgraded the audio components on the 2018+ base i3 so they’re much better than they were in the past, and I can attest to that.

I really wish you could put blue seatbelts in a non-Sport.
And choose Deka with Eucalyptus.
Que Será, Será.

1 Like

They have that level of configurability in other countries. The larger display and collision avoidance should also be standard at this point.

Blue seatbelts, pulled from the i8 no less, are a premium sporty feature so I get why they only made it available on the i3s.

Hold up. A new contender enters the ring…

Says he’s got my Sport build ready to go.
Opened with 6% off MSRP.
Acting like max MF is fashionable… :laughing:
Trying to tell me College Grad won’t stack with Loyalty?
…wait, College Grad stacks with Loyalty, right?

Edit: Salesman “confirmed” they stack. (I knew this already.)

2 Likes

Where are you finding these?! I’m seriously just curious since I have an i3s REx build that finished production today. Maybe PM me.

I would try to negotiate the MF down or ask for another $500-$1,000 off, but I would also jump at it. The i3s in my experience moves off lots quickly with dealers that aren’t marking their MF and fees up. I’m shocked they even have a build slot with North American i3 production being discontinued on the last day of this month. If you want it, it’s worth paying a slight premium for a factory build. In-stock cars are going to be around invoice as well and this is probably entering production on Monday.

1 Like

I cast a wide net. Might as well do a road-trip if we’re gonna splurge on the last Sport BEV ever made. If this deal works out, we might even end up buying it at the end of the lease.

Okay, things might come together tomorrow so I want to be sure I’m calculating these incentives correctly.

Are these taxes or untaxed? I will be tagging the car in Illinois (not Chicago).

• 7500 lease credit
  • 3000 loyalty
  • 1000 college grad
  • 1000 OL code

Thank you

1 Like

No ol code for custom orders…

1 Like

Honestly I’d consider buying mine out at the end as well, but the range extender is going to be problematic. I wouldn’t mind buying a BEV even if the range is going to be low by 2024’s standards. If it had the tech package and HK I’d be even more willing to buy mine. It’s so unique and I personally love the design of the i3s. I’m even thinking about doing a 12k mile/year lease even though I typically drive way less than 10k miles per year just because I want to maximize my time with the vehicle.

Definitely worth doing a road trip. Great way to get to know the vehicle as well. Those codes can stack, but the OL code is technically $500 from BMWNA. The dealer doesn’t have to match it. What I’ve found is if the date range on the OL code matches the vehicle order and delivery date then it should still apply.

Coming from a major i3 fan (Ive had 6…)

These cars are going to be horrifically financially upside down for a very long time even if one gets a good deal on one. So, one is signing a marriage license with one when buying one. :cry:. So, make sure you can love it for a long time.

4 Likes

Buyout should be around $30k, possibly $5k less if BMW discounts it at lease-end as they have in the past.

I do agree that you have to love it since market value would probably be ~ $20k at that point, but discontinuing the i8 was the best move that could have happened for used values. They almost doubled: a 2014 i8 sells for $75k-$80k compared to $40k-$50k two years ago. While I don’t expect that to happen here the 120Ah i3s is the most desirable model, and there should be a market for it.

Certainly as this is a leasing board, leasing would tend to be the first approach. I was just following up on the comments which were talking about an actual purchase.

These are definitely such a wonderfully eccentric cars. I absolutely loved all of mine. Technologically, they are way behind something even like a Bolt, but the quirkiness of the car can help one overlook such things.

2 Likes

Amen. My current goal is to hack a lease for 36 months so I’ve got a reliable runabout while we watch what the EV market does over the next three years.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, gents. First we need to hack this lease.

When I’m running numbers in the leasehackr calculator, which of these are taxed vs. untaxed? I am in Illinois (not Chicago).

• 7500 lease credit
  • 3000 loyalty
  • 1000 college grad
  • 1000 OL code

Not so much OP but for the super fans: set your custom search on Carmax and Auto Trader, so when the used market normalizes and these come off lease, buy one.

I feel like I’m living my own “2014 WRX hatchback” neurosis in everyone’s replies. If you can find one, lease one. If it’s so great but you can’t find one, start looking for your perfect used one in 6 month, at which point you can swap seatbelts etc…

True about the i8, but let’s be honest: that’s a very limited run, flashy 350+ HP sports car that still gets 300+ miles on a tank of good old Texas tea. The i3 is certainly quirky and will likely be a curious collectible of its own someday, but its limited EV usability is probably going to limit that resale market to only the most diehard of enthusiasts.

3 Likes

Absolutely accurate. Anybody buying an i8 today is doing so with no regard to cost. They simply love the design and don’t mind paying $80k for a 2014 model with no warranty. It’s a borderline supercar but collectible for sure.

The i3 will realistically be limited by its electric range as you’ve said as it significantly detracts from its practicality. Values aren’t going to nearly double practically overnight but we’ll still see a market for it, especially for these final builds. I’m sure there are already customers waiting for the 120Ah models to come off of lease.

Oooooof!

I semi-lusted after one when they were hackable, but TBH when I see them now I think they already look dated😢

Hypothetically if it followed a standard depreciation curve the i8 could have been a steal by now, which is what “experts” were predicting. $35k-$40k for a hybrid that can be driven as a daily but looks like a supercar could be an amazing value proposition.

Alas they ended up appreciating over the past few years, which makes me slightly regret not buying a 2016 CPO. Although there are plenty of better investments, and I enjoy the i3 and particularly the i3s almost as much. Perhaps even more so since I prefer being fully electric.

I sat in an i8 and it felt claustrophobic. :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

i3 has good ingress/egress, and a better greenhouse.

1 Like

Larry David, the billionaire Seinfeld co-creator i3 enthusiast… buying an i8.

2 Likes