Long Island .Available 2023 Hyundai Tucson Ltd. $40,170 msrp. $498/m . $900 DAS

If I am not missing anything lease is a better option as of now

Maybe others can speak to this but I think it’s a glitch in the calculator. That negative equity is a positive number. For example try increasing the expected residual percentage and the negative equity number goes more negative/increases.

So lets do the math,

Finance (60 mo, 2.9% is $41062 OTD approximately) $900 down, $719.88/mo, $16766 payoff after 3 years. Total cost $43582.

Lease $900 Down, $498/mo, $24102 RV. Total cost $42930.

Now you can lower cost by going down to 48 mo. 0.9% loan. $900 down, $852.17/mo, $10177 payoff after 3 years. Total cost $41755

I can not agree with You on this particular car.
Pleaee correct the calculator if I am doing something wrong but leasing is the way to go here.

Because the sum of the payments is lower on the lease?

Yes, and based on today’s market 3 years old Tucson Ltd has no equity.

That makes sense.

KBB’s trade-in value is not the most accurate all the time. KBB might show 23k, and in reality, that car might be worth 29k to auction wholesaler.

OP does have a point tho. It takes a lot to overcome that lower interest rate and really high tax rate. After 4 or 5 years the numbers will flip in favor of financing but selling at year 3 it’s close.

Not talking about OP specifically, but many people are only looking at one 3-year timespan at a time.

While this is somewhat better than just looking at the monthly payment, it completely ignores the negative long-term hole that’s being left in one’s net worth by getting a new car every 2-3 years.

1 Like

Based on the calculator you need to keep the car for 5 years to break even

There’s no place in the calculator to show the cost of two consecutive leases compared to keeping just one purchased vehicle for 83% as long.

With that said, I haven’t looked at or validated your specific numbers at all. My comments are more general to make sure that you do that level of analysis and come to a sound conclusion.

Clearly with some of the outrageous Bolt and i3 lease deals from when I first joined, it wouldn’t have made any sense to buy the identical vehicles instead at the time.

But my instinct here is that this isn’t a pre-covid Bolt or i3 lease you’re looking at.

It’s your money, so you don’t have to convince me of course. Do what makes sense to you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A Tucson is now $40k!

Yeah, and more expensive limited hybrid $41k. LOL

I’m not sure your numbers are correct but let’s assume they are. What conclusions do they support?

Does it make sense for the person with a $500 monthly budget to lease every 3 years? That’s $18,000 in this cycle. Probably 19-20 in the next. And 21-23 in the next. That’s ~60 grand in just 3 cycles.

OK. Let’s look at finance. With sales tax and interest the TCO is $53k.
The avarage trade in value of 9 years old Tucson Ltd with 110k miles is $9.5k.
$43k TCO not including additional warranties, maintenance, at least one set of 4 tires and twice replacement of brake pads.
So it is ~$5k in saving over 9 years that means $46/month.

A car with a $37,880 selling price?

You are right with the discount it is $49k anyhow i cannot see myself paying $660/m for 7 years old car

1 Like

My brother in law wanted white with black interior. They did not have it. I Can provide contact info to Long Island dealer for free if interested.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.