Loaners already registered with dealers

So, what’s the final word on the DMV registration fees on a loaner? The car I want already has plates on it but the dealer wants me to pay for full registration fees. However, the registration fees will be due again in a few months. What are my options here, legally?

Location plays a big part to the answer.

I’m in CA.

CA? He’s only supposed to charge you license fees, If he charges you full fees, he’s supposed to refund it after a few months.
Edit : forgot, the dealer is supposed to keep the prorated license fees if the car is a loaner and not a true used car.

I leased a loaner in CA a few years ago. The dealership paid the full-year registration back in Feb. I paid $22 to transfer the registration to myself when I leased it in April so I don’t think the dealership shouldn’t charge you for the registration, which sounds like a money-saver for you.

But the problem is that most of the leases are 24/36mo long. So it’'s most likely that you have to pay the full-year registration right before you return the lease and in Califronia, DMV won’t refund you for the unused part of the registration.

I think I understand - best case I pay for the transfer fee only.

Or I pay the prorated fee, basically for the month that the car will be in my possession during the original 12 months of registration.

I should not pay a full registration fee only to have another registration due in less than 1 yr.

Correct?

Assuming your lease is a multiple of 12 months, best case is you pay full registration as if it’s new and get a full year.

1 Like

I think the answer is in the question. You could just pay the transfer fee, then renew in a couple months, but then your registration will be off for you entire lease, and you’ll end up paying a full year’s registration for only the last couple months.

I’d pay the full year reg now and not have to worry about it.

1 Like