Leasing X3 currently but relocating out of state, what are my options in this market?

Hi fellow leasehackrs,

I am in the middle of my first lease purchase which is a 2021 BMW X3, lease ends in approx. 18 months. We are in the process of moving in the next few months from Chicago to Texas. I am ahead on miles and not sure of my options. Just based on curiosity, Carvana offered to buy the car for $3k less than my buyout offer from MYBMW financial. I also know that BMW financial isn’t going to let me get bought out by a third party so I am stuck.

Ideally, I’d like to find a way out of this car without a loss hopefully so I don’t have to deal with driving it cross-country. We have one more car that is fully paid off so Im leaning toward buying a used car once I make it to Texas, even though I know I will probably get fleeced on that.

Has anyone been in a relocation situation before? What is the best financial decision in the market? Should I finance a buyout and then sell the car privately?

Need some suggestions!

By ahead do you mean over mileage?

Chances are if you got it 18 months ago, you likely still got a better deal than you can hope to get now and you can worry about the mileage once you get closer to lease end by keeping it and either drive it to TX or ship it if flying in?

1 Like

Sorry I should have clarified better. By ahead I mean I am below on miles. 12k driven out of 30k allotment

Hard to believe carvana offered below buyout — Not that they can buy it directly anyway. Dirty carfax?

That being said, I’d pack it up and drive it down. Texas is a big state and you’ll likely make up for miles you haven’t used once you get here.

No it was an online Carvana offer not Carmax. Haven’t tried them yet, it was purchase brand new, clean

1 Like

I’d just keep it for now, personally unless you will be in a situation where you won’t need the car at all or will have company provided transportation.

I can tell ya for my 2018 bmw 330xi–i am well below my mileage 23k used out of 36k and lease finishes in 3 months; everywhere i lookied i was getting 5k below buyout price.
but ya, i would agree with IAC’s advise.

Curse of the old body style on that one. Seldom do I see a Fxx car do much more than break even on a trade in, still better than before this crazy market though!

1 Like

agreed; looking into those 4xe deals but waiting to do a group order and see if i can find a dealer to play ball in the midwest

Driving or shipping the car sounds much more cost-effective than eating the negative equity on the X3 just to get destroyed on a used car in this market.

1 Like

Why not put it up for lease assumption? Since you got it 18 months ago, the payment should look pretty attractive in today’s market. Might also be able to get $$$ from the new lessee.

How would I be able to explore that further?

Type in “bmw lease assumption” in the search bar to find hundreds of posts on the topic.

1 Like

Don’t know how carvana quoted you 3k below because I am leasing a 2019 X3 and have 20k miles on it an carvana quoted 7k more than the buyout, not that I can sell it to carvana but very surprising that they came under buyout for you.

I would suggest keeping your car.
Shipping to Texas would be around $1000
Registration would be around $200
And you can ride this tough market out in 18 months (hopefully)

I was in a similar situation sometime back and I kept my car.

1 Like

That sounds about right for shipping. I would just take a long weekend and drive it, Enjoy the Ozarks and some great BBQ (if that’s your thing) on the way down.

1 Like

Did you try other places besides Carvana? I went with Rodo recently: Carvana dropped their offer on my car (not a BMW), which left me scratching my head (was still positive equity, but thousands below where they were a month prior). So, I expanded my search, and was pleasantly surprised with how strong Rodo’s offer was. I am sill waiting to hear the lease is paid off (I am within the window, so not a bad thing as yet). Some of the process felt less ‘safe’ than when I went with Carvana, but so far, I am pretty happy

No idea, definitely sounds fishy to me but that is what they offered me

Il take a look at Rodo. Never heard of them

1 Like

Yeah I might garage it up for a month and take it down. Its looking like the least hassle at the moment

1 Like