Leasing with the sole intention to sell for positive equity

My lease Buyout is 36300,.Taxes are 2541 total 38841. call it 39k. vroom offers 45500.

Worst case scenario is i have to wait 4 weeks or so to have the title stuff taken care of then i either sell it and get the 6k profit or trade it in and get the 6k plus the tax advantage.

Either way its a win with Ford not making F-150’s now.

FYI My lease is up in 15 days.

sure thing. I’ll pay those taxes when they pay me my 14-mo overdue refund. :rofl:

4 Likes

Flipping car leases? Really? Go buy an investment property.

1 Like

I have an extra house. I lose money on it every damned year. You want to buy it?

5 Likes

Same here! I’ll stick to this!

1 Like

If you’re losing money on real estate, there’s a big chance you’re doing it wrong. But Godspeed.

1 Like

Selling a house costs around 5 to 10% of the sales price. People go on zillow and think they their little equity is a big deal when in fact it isn’t

Example you bought for 500k and now is worth 600k
You go wow it’s up 100k.
Assuming you get to sell this house. The realtor needs to get paid their 10% in this case If you sell for 600 you paid the realtor 60k leaving you with (40k * your equity % ). Plus you can’t find a replacement because everything else is high.

Selling a car lease is way more profitable. U pocket the difference between residual price + taxes and what they paying u …+ you can always get a tesla after you sell it since you know exactly the price you gonna pay

2 Likes

Very few leases ever make any profit, even when there is tons of positive equity.

2 Likes

This.

Also for those defending car lease flipping over real estate flipping… you all explain this to me as if I don’t own properties in California. Thanks for teaching the ABCs of how real estate seller commissions work, though.

If you wanna spend your life negotiating with dealerships and then trying to sell for whatever positive equity you have, and make maybe a couple thousand dollars a pop for each, cool. Enjoy.

I’d personally rather do very little work and play the long game to make hundreds of thousands per transaction.

To each his/her own.

Swap lease? The leases on that site are over inflated to begin with… when I hear this type of thing going on I can tell the top is here and the next move is straight down.

When a post like this arrives it means the top is already here. This is a bubble simple as that, flipping leases, this can only last so long. With everything over inflated its easy to make money but eventually it ends and this is one that will end much much much sooner than later.

2 Likes

Dogecoin to the mooooooon

3 Likes

Precisely right

1 Like

Why not do both?

I did not realize you were talking about flipping houses. When you said investment property, I assumed renting. I lose money on my rental.

I wouldn’t have fun flipping houses. Right now, this is fun for me. I get to experience a different vehicle and make money in the process.

2 Likes

But you’ll presumably make it back over time.

Maybe. But they are destroying the house so it will cost a lot to get it back in shape for sale. NJ is the worst state to own a rental in. You aren’t allowed to kick people out. I’ve wanted to sell for years but can’t. It is absurd.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. The risks we take to maybe make money, maybe not. I hope it turns around for you.

1 Like

I thought this was another @ethanrs thread lol.

3 Likes

At some point, wouldn’t you expect the lenders/banks to catch on and not approve the n’th credit application in as many months? (anti fraud checks)

Call Ford to extend your lease, then flip it to a Ford dealer. Shouldn’t be too tough to have them match that vroom offer