Leasing Loaner in ATL: Tax on Fair Market Value, or just lease payments?

, ,

thanks, data points will be very helpful

Yep, talked to multiple dealers in GA, tax laws changed this month. Now based off of monthly payments.

Sorry for the delay. So yes, got my car last weekend and taxes are in the lease amount only. Also called the Tag office beforehand and they referred the same. Hope this helps

If you buy from a GA dealer and car is still leasable (for BMW FS that is less than 5,000 miles) then you only pay 7% tax on total financed amount. Has been that way for a few years now.

1 Like

This really helps. GA tax on FMV for loaners made us loose multiple unicorn BMW deals.
Glad that they changed it finally.

I know this is an old thread, but the information is still relevant. I’m looking at leasing a Mercedes loaner that’s been titled as a rental in another state. Georgia wants to charge tax on the sales price or MSRP, and not the lease payments, which basically negates the value of leasing a loaner. Does anyone know if this only applies to out of state loaners? It seems like people are able to get around those extra taxes on loaners from Georgia dealers.

That was the old law to charge on selling price

The new tax law (?2019 or 2018) is only on sum of lease payments

I had this issue when leasing a loaner from out of state but ultimately they learned I was correct

Be careful though…don’t let the dealer charge you on full value and say we’ll refund you if the tax dept later says its not on full value…bc I spoke w/ tax dept and they said the dealer can charge tax either way…on sum of payments or on selling price …so technically if they did charge on full value that is an acceptable method of calculation so there probably wouldn’t be any refund later

It is a hassle to get this straightened out, but I did lease 2 loaners from out of state and register in GA and only paid tax on sum of lease payments

Yep, that’s exactly what they said; MBFS will refund the difference if it’s incorrect. I’m not signing a contract with the wrong tax rate, only to possibly get reimbursed down the road. This is kind of ridiculous for a company whose North American headquarters are in Georgia, especially since they’re (MBFS) the ones who changed the tax rate during their review. Maybe this is a sign to get a different model, brand new.

Out of curiosity, how did you prove this? I’ve been reading through rules and regulations on the SoS website and can’t find anything specifying taxation for leased loaners from out of state. They’re clear on the policies for GA dealers but nothing for lessees.