Leasing Demo/Service Loaner: Less Mileage instead of Adjusted Residual?

Hi folks

I searched the forums but could not find a conclusive answer to the following question. I apologize in advance if this has been covered somewhere.

When leasing an “in service/loaner” vehicle which has existing mileage, is it possible to get the original zero mileage residual value on the lease if you’re willing to take less mileage?

For example: Car A has been used as a service loaner by a dealer and currently has 5,000 miles on it. Because it was a service loaner, it now qualifies for additional lease cash for the dealer from the manufacturer, which means a killer sale price, but its residual has been adjusted down from 50% to 40% (for 36/10) to account for the existing mileage. Instead of taking a 10% hit on the residual and getting a full 30,000 miles on the lease (meaning the lease period is from 5,000 - 35,000 miles) is it possible to get the original 50% residual if you’re willing to accept a lease end of 30,000 miles, meaning on your 36/10 lease you only actually get to drive 25,000 miles? Similar to if you had accepted a lease transfer from another person wherein the car already had existing mileage?

What brand are you looking at?

Presently Maserati. To be clear, I just made those figures up in my example.

There certainly are some brands that allow this. My guess is you’ll find that the extra residual value hit isn’t nearly as much as you think, but I don’t know off hand how Maserati calculates the rv on loaners.

1 Like

Bump.

Anyone else have any input or experience here?

This is a bank-specific question. Which bank are you referring to?

Maserati in this instance. I would be curious to learn what banks people are aware of who do allow this. Seems like it is a scenario which could potentially create an amazing deal for the right buyer who doesn’t need many miles. I only put 19k on my last 36/10 lease, so I’ve got flexibility.

i would definitely do something like this if it was possible on a vehicle I really liked.

Not everyone needs 10,000 miles a year. Or even 7,500.