Leasing across state lines without address proof?

I currently reside in MN. I have a MN license. I’ll be moving to CA on 11/15. I have signed a lease for a house in CA starting from 11/15.

I am planning on selling my car here locally in MN before moving. I would like to lease a car in CA. I found a car in NV but there are some incentives on it that are expiring by 11/4.

So here are my goals:

  1. Lease car by 11/4 to get the incentives. I am willing to sign remotely or fly to sign/pick-up.
  2. Register the car to my CA address upon signing so that I don’t have to deal with moving the registration again

I understand this is a very tricky situation so I would appreciate any help and advice. What problems am I likely to run into?

I have a feeling it would be so much easier if you just move your signed lease date two days up.

Is it not possible at all?

1 Like

Unfortunately with California rents, moving up the lease might negate the savings of getting the incentives on the car. :frowning:

1 Like

Issues - The dealer won’t sell out of state lease if they have never done it before. Vehicle will need smog check.

Why don’t you just drive your current car to CA?


A few things:

  • pretty sure you’ll need a CA driver’s license (and as proof of residency) in order to register a car in CA
  • what car is this? Is it 50-state emissions compliant? If not, it’ll need 7500 miles on it before it can be registered in CA.
  • will the dealer sell out-of-state and deal with registration for you, or are you on your own?

Edit: some steps from prior posts for reference


Don’t need a CA license. Any state license and proof of CA residency (lease) is sufficient to register the car in CA.

Looks I will just need to wait until the start of my lease to get the car.

Cool… let us know how it goes!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.