Leasing a tow vehicle

4runner too. That list can easily be had for under 450 first DAS including PA tax. Top trim of these options is a diff. question.

Yup.
As Steven Covey says; “begin with the end in mind”.
To me this means, do you want to tow at 10MPH over the speed limit or 10 under? Taco or any non turbo v6 equals 10 under.
Tundra means 10 over.
Don’t bother with any lease other than Tundra; they will be substantially more expensive for no towing benefit.

Bear

3 Likes

Yup.
Towed a 1,300 lb. trailer with 1,200 cargo at 75 MPH and got 8.5MPG.
Get the 38 gallon tank.

Bear

1 Like

Remember, it is not just the tow weight that makes towing a chore; it is also the wind resistance.

Bear

Definitely looking that way. I had to chuckle at your icon though, my current tow vehicle is a Saab. A V8 beast, so it’s not been bad. It’s hard to imagine towing with a 6.

Oh the 9-7x aka the Trollblazer, although not built in Trollhattan

1 Like

First time hearing Saab and Beast in the same sentence

LOL I can imagine. I’ve really enjoyed the 9-7x’s pick up and go over the years. It was hard going back to a 6 daily driver after using the V8 for quite a while. The Saab honestly served me well, even though it’s a glorified Trailblazer/Envoy.

1 Like

Is there a Sääb-ism for a driveway with one Trollblazer and one Saabaru?

3 Likes

Towing is more than just the “tow rating” it’s also the overall payload you’re carrying- most of the smaller suv and trucks you will max out payload at well under a thousand pounds.

Your trailer will have a tongue weight - which when added to passengers and gear will put you over the limit unless you start looking at full size pickups. You should be able to lease a 1500 Chevy, or F150 for your budget, and be a lot more comfortable (and safe) when towing

Hmmmm… Never thought of it…I can’t tell you how many Saabaru’s I sold, once they sat in the port forever and they put tons of cash on them, it was easy sales in Boulder CO. I think at one point if you were GM employee it was like $16k or $17k for the Aero(aka WRX)

You didn’t even need to know anything about the car, once you showed them it was built in Japan they believed it was a Subaru, then the free maintenance and longer warranty sealed the deal. All that car did was steal sales from Subaru

1 Like

I am not a tow expert, but I wanted a family truckster 3 row SUV with a tow package so I could also consider a small travel trailer (maybe) in the future and could haul small loads (landscaping trailers when I needed to rent equipment occasionally)…

I ended up with a 2020 Subaru Ascent Premium with tow hitch. I believe it maxes out at 5500lbs / 500lb tongue weight.

Gets the job done for me (haven’t gotten serious about ultralight travel trailer yet, admittedly).

With Subaru VIP program, plus goodwill coupons from SoA, I am leasing at $415/mo all in (first payment of $415 out the door, only).

How about buy a 2013-2014 $20k f150 screw (roughly your cumulative lease payments) and sell in 3 years?
5.0 is very reliable and 3.5 ecoboost in those years also has most its issues resolved. Maintenance cost is negligible but it’s a thirsty engine 15mpg
In 3 years, probably you will be able to sell it for 12-15k too,

I have a 2020 Tacoma off-road 4x4. I store my boat along the colorado river about a mile to the launch ramp but live almost 300 miles away. My boat weighs a little over 4k and wouldn’t even dream of towing it home. The lack of power for that I couldn’t imagine towing anything more. I have a 2017 Chevy colorado and that thing tows it like a dream. It has a plenty of power the only negative is that when the winds kick up your really feel it since the tow vehicle is so light. If the trailer really is at 6k loaded I’d definitely recommend either a half ton truck or a full size suv such as a Nissan Armada. I think it’s just too much weight for a small suv to do safely.

1 Like