Leasehackr Meme Lounge (Part 1)

TLDR: person takes car on test drive for 2.5 hours to lunch then off road without cell signal, shocked when dealer is mad.

Summary

They called the police on me because they didn’t communicate their guidelines for test drives. Two weeks ago was my first time ever going for a test drive in a new car. I came in, expressed interest in the specific model and they were all for it. They took a photocopy of my driver’s license, asked if I wanted the rep to come with (I decided no, because I wanted to experience it myself to see what the car could do). I had a wonderful test drive in a new 2022 Impreza Limited with a friend. We were out for a full hour (maybe a little longer), driving around. It was a good time. I thanked the gentlemen who helped me, told him I needed to think a little more and figure out some financing, and departed. Two days ago, I had decided I wanted to try an Outback Limited and a Crosstrek Limited. Again, photocopy of driver’s license and offer for a rep to come along. Again, I declined. They ended up offering me an Outback Touring XL with Turbocharge because they didn’t have a turbocharged Limited. I accepted and we headed out. We ended up driving in an area with no cell signal and since it was right around lunch time, my friend and I decided to stop for something to eat (in an area with no signal). When we came out of the dead cell spot, I found numerous calls and texts. They had contacted my home. They had contacted the POLICE. The rep who had let us test drive the car, a woman with a name starting with E, was furious that we had taken the car for 2 hours (I hadn’t realized it had been that long) when we were only supposed to be gone for 10 minutes (something no one had ever told us). I was in shock and started bawling my eyes out. My friend had to do all the talking and got my boyfriend on the line to help me drive to the dealership without totally breaking down. When we arrived, there was a police cruiser there. My friend got out of the car first, as I was shaking horribly. I was so terrified that I couldn’t stop crying. I just gave the guy the keys and they looked it over as their entire staff came out. I sorta just wandered as my friend told them clearly that we had never been told (either time) about the 10 minute time limit. The police officer called me over by name and informed me that the dealership could press civil charges against me (as I continued to cry). The manager (I think, he was dressed all in a black suit) commented that it was the most expensive car they had on the lot (I hadn’t asked for that, I had wanted the Limited, not the Touring!) and that I had put way more miles than I thought possible on it. At least their mechanic was semi-nice, just saying that he needed to put it on the rack to check it out. They even popped the hood as if to check if the engine was still there! I was in full hysterics as they ordered me to stay put. I curled up in a corner on the ground with my friend trying to comfort me. Eventually, the mechanic came out saying we’re cool to go and that there was “no harm, no foul.” I remember something about their parting words to me being something like “making sure this doesn’t happen again” and I swore up and down that this would never happen again because I would never come back there again. I drove away, found an empty office space, and continued crying in shock and fear. Why they needed to threaten a sobbing woman who was already horrified about her mistake is beyond me. I ended up crying myself to sleep when I got home. If they have rules on what we’re supposed to do on a test drive, I should have had to sign something agreeing to those rules. Some people might say that it’s just “common sense,” but if that’s the case, why wasn’t I in trouble for being gone an hour 2 weeks before? If I had known the rules going in, I would have followed them. It just so happened to be that we were in a spot with no cell service. I didn’t know. How am I supposed to follow rules if they’re not communicated to me? But now I know that I’ll never return to this dealership. The only reason I’m still going to be getting a Subaru is because I freaking loved that car and I desperately want one now. Not only did they fail to tell me what they wanted, but they freaking bullied me and used scare tactics on me when I was already shaking and crying after I brought it back. These people showed no kindness, no compassion, no understanding and they didn’t even apologize for how they treated me, even being audacious enough to go “if you still wanted to buy a car, might I suggest one of our sister dealerships” as if they never wanted to deal with me again. They’ll never see me again.

Dealer response

We thank you for your interest in Subaru. A standard test drive is only 10-15 minutes long. Not 2.5 hours long. You went out for lunch, picked up your friend, went off-roading in a brand new vehicle and added 60 miles to the odometer. Not to mention, the dirt we had to have pressure washed off of the windows. That’s not a test drive. We called you 15 times, sent you multiple text messages, and left you a voicemail, which all went unanswered before involving the police. At that point, since we didn’t know where our car was, the best course of action was to call the local Sheriffs department. It’s unfortunate, but it was the only thing we were left to do since we did not hear from you for hours. Good luck with your Subaru search.

9 Likes

10-15 minutes is a shitty test drive, I don’t care how expensive or rare the car is.

It’s not a bad idea to keep a demo around (preferably loaded) to book out for a couple hours at a time or overnight loan and drives.

4 Likes

But a 2.5 hour test drive is “expoitive”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m just trying to figure out where they didn’t have cell service. I’m looking at a Verizon service map, and there appears to be service in pretty much all of Travis County and the surrounding area. Even when driving outside Austin when I lived there for college in the very early 2000s, there really weren’t any dead zones unless you went way into the hill country.

2 Likes

Could be Colorado or any state with lots of big tall rocks. :mountain_snow:

You get past the foothills and into the canyons and you lose signal pretty quick.

I could have sworn this said Austin when I first read it…time to get off the computer.

All of you are wrong, OC, CA.

California I would say has lots of big tall rocks.

I’ve always been given 10-15 min drives. Only once was when the dealer let me take the Maxima home so I could show my parents (eventually, I got the car).

I wish I could get overnight test drives.

Pretty easy to get to no cell service just E, NE and SE of OC. Irvine Lake, Cleveland National Forest and many of the regional parks get to decent elevation fairly quickly and the test mule was dirty and “off-roaded.”

Not so hard to believe this nonsense went down as described.

1 Like

All you have to do is ask. You just might get it.

1 Like

head to your local CarMax :laughing:

4 Likes

Where’s the thread??
Detective Looking GIF by Sherlock Holmes Games

I’ve only ever test driven two car out of all the cars I’ve ever purchased/ leased. This was before emailing dealers was more widely adopted.

I know of a few areas where Cell phone signal does not exist AND is within 30 miles of dealership in OC and be ‘muddy’ and you have to intentionally go there and not ‘oops I was on a fun test drive’.

IMHO, she knew what she was doing and didn’t care until the cops got involved. From more introspective since most of the OC subie dealers are on LH, this is probably Franks in Lake Forest. And wow I bet a salesman got fired for letting a lady take a car out for an ‘extended test drive’ unsupervised.

1 Like

I would have used that as an opportunity to sell her the car she put miles on assuming it was still available. :slightly_smiling_face:

Win win.

2 Likes

Needs the meme:

8 Likes

14 Likes

Is this a google review?

7a3mks

2 Likes