Leased car got into accident - URGENT

Don’t forget to file a DMV form SR 1

" California law requires traffic accidents on a California street/highway or private property to be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 10 days if there was an injury, death or property damage in excess of $1,000. Untimely reporting could result in DMV suspending a driver license."

1 Like

Problem solved

Jeez Joe, at the number of times I’ve seen this pic, that dead mans curve should be full of cars.

I use to find a new picture everytime, but I like this one

Unlikely SJ cops will care, like others said, call your insurance and get it fixed with a MB approved body shop. The truck driver will deal with your insurance company if he wants to file a claim. Your insurance premium might go up next time when it’s up for renewal.

@mp11477 I certainly agree that the car should be properly repaired. However, I would not necessarily go to a Mercedes OEM repair facility because insurance is paying.(Yes there may or may not be record). However, if I am at fault in the state of New Jersey, the higher the cost the repaid the car, the more burden is placed on my premium. If I file a claim and spent $3500 at MB vs $2800 at an independent shop then the difference of $700 will increase my surcharge.

I have not been in many accidents so I won’t argue that these are facts but mostly my experience.

I really don’t understand the point of your first post or this reply. You said your wife hit a parked truck. Whether or not it was allowed to be there makes no difference, the truck was parked and your wife hit it. If you want to claim otherwise, you’ll need to hire and pay for a lawyer, and likely still assume full responsibility.

Exchange insurance info as you’ve already done, and report same to your own insurance to ensure you are covered to fix your car’s damage. But outside this advice, the accident with a parked vehicle is always your liability.

If as you say, if there is “no damage to the truck”, then likely they won’t file a claim, but you still need to have your vehicle repaired before returning the lease. It’s for you to decide if you want insurance cover the repairs, or pay out of pocket yourself, and not involve the insurance company to keep your premium the same.

I hate when those parked cars come out of nowhere!!

2 Likes

Especially when illegally parked, such as in a blind spot

Can you post a pic of the damage to your car? I imagine if there is some hefty damage on your car, there is at least some damage on the truck.

Just don’t tell the person you rear-ended that there’s no damage to his or her car. One time I got rear ended and the person that did it insist there’s no damage to my car, that really upset me. It’s almost impossible with today’s painted bumper covers.

You are overthinking it. the person at fault will ALWAYS deny that there was damage even if the bumper is hanging off the pins. It’s a defense mechanism.

The bumpers on new cars are only designed to take one hit. Even if visually there appears to be no damage always get the person’s insurance info and have you car checked out afterwards.

Yeah and then that person said there was no need to exchange insurance.