Leased a “Demo” 2020 Mercedes C300 - I got Screwed but was it “Legal?”

MY HEAD HURTS from this thread.

OP you know you were a schmuck? I don’t think you were a scmuck (damn I like typing that word) at all. You were victim to the “Hey Bobby, we gotta live one over here looking for a C300…how can we fck him???” game.

First rule of Leasehackr - NEVER goto dealership to make a deal, period.

10 Likes

Unless you can find body damage/signs of major repair at a 3rd party shop which the dealership hasn’t disclosed prior, you are unlikely to get out of the lease. A dead battery likely won’t count… But if you insist, consult a lawyer. Chances are it would be cheaper to sell to whoever offer the most. Plus you aren’t totally screwed, it’s not a stellar deal but not horrible either.

So after a day of driving the car, it just drives like a rental car. You know when you’re in a rental and you inexplicably want to just push its engine to the limit?

That’s… just your buyer remorse in act. I would consider that the car has been properly broken in : ) I mean you paid the money for the redline, you can and should totally rev that thing to redline at every green light, icing on top, you leased the car it’s not even yours to worry about, that’s why you lease.

And… a low spec C class is a rental car at many rental agencies, so it makes sense it feels like a rental car… And C-class is going into the end of its product cycle, it’s an aging generation. This might be an unpopular opinion, don’t expect much for the compact luxury cars especially lower MSRP ones, they are selling the badges more than the cars.

2 Likes

C-class VIPs are the customers who bring their CLAs for service :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Got it

So like…NIP

2 Likes

Assuming you don’t want to keep it after the lease is up, getting a demo/loaner isn’t a bad thing as it landed you a better discount. The mileage isn’t your problem. Your payments are based on the inflated (in your favor) residual set by Mercedes (minus <2% from 8k demo miles), not the market value of the car. I don’t think MBFS offers direct support for CPO leases, which are usually not attractive options anyway. The only comparison you can make is against a new 2021 model, which is not priced around its market value after 1 year.

The car exists. You drove it home… Hard to believe the VIN on the sheet didn’t match the car. You would have been busy suing the dealer for fraud instead of writing this post. Are you sure those 3 options aren’t in/on the car? The comfort box is collapsible and slides under the top of the trunk. The locking wheel bolts are just slightly different bolts/nuts, and 1 per wheel. Look closely for these two options. Pull under some shade and turn on your headlights. Does the star on the front grill not light up?

The salesperson told you right off the bat that the car was a demo/loaner. He showed you the numbers. It’s not his fault you didn’t understand what you were doing.

Regarding the price and options: you’re comparing a 2020 and 2021 model. Things change. Surprisingly, MB didn’t inflate the MSRP despite adding more standard features. But the options did change. 2020 order guide here: https://mbworld.org/forums/attachments/c-class-w205/421501d1563505621-july-11-2020-w205-sedan-dealer-order-guide-attached-07-11-2019_my20-c-sedan-dog.pdf
The numbers look right to me. Also, Night Package and Edition are two different words and different things. I don’t see any mention of Night Edition in the 2020 order guide.

As for the car itself, did you not test drive it? It’s a C300. What did you expect? It’s no E class. The advertised 0-60 is 5.9s. It’s no AMG lite (43), either.

Again, you’re hung up on the CarFax for no real reason. As stated, it’s not considered as a used car. If there were any damage to the car, the dealer would have disclosed it. You’re not on the hook for any diminished value, anyway. It’s a lease. Post the rest of the numbers. You got a decent car. If you didn’t put $5k down, it might not be that bad of a deal.

6 Likes

It’s a lease. Keep driving it like a rental and you’ll feel better beating up MBFS’s car.
VIP/Demo/Loaner/Brass Hat are all FART CARS.

The main variable is the amount of farts the interior has absorbed. Loaners get the best diversity if that helps.

VIP in this case … Very Insignificant Person fleet car.

7 Likes

Don’t feel horrible. It’s fairly normal to lease a demo/loaner. People more familiar with leases hack them all the time to get a solid deal. The market is terrible right now for buyers and you lease the Mercedes, you didn’t buy it, drive it, enjoy it, give it back. At worst, you paid a bit too much but look on the bright side, you didn’t purchase a lemon that you’ll have a hard time offloading etc.

2 Likes

Give us the numbers in your contract to figure out how much you overpaid compared to a well researched and worked for deal you could have gotten.

Whatever that difference is, 1k, 5k, 10k- just accept that you lost that money due to your own naïveté.

The dealer did nothing illegal and they did what they were supposed to do- they saw you as a mark, tried to make max money on you. You did something right by leaving the dealership the first day otherwise they’d make a couple more Gs on you.

Give up the quest to get back at them and learn for the future.

2 Likes

I challenge the OP to do what you just said… he won’t get very far bud.

1 Like

He just needs to find the right lawyer. I do this all the time for my clients. Every once in a while I get an arrogant dealer who thinks he is smarter than the law. The case is tried or arbitrated and a 1000-3000 dollar issue will now cost him 30k with fees. The beauty of attorney fee shifting is that even if I can prove $1 in ascertainable loss I get my entire fee.

1 Like

OP - you probably have enough feedback from internet strangers now (30 posts in). Any thoughts or updates?

2 Likes

I can prove an ascertainable loss in braincells from reading your comments and ‘legal advice’.

:chocolate_bar:

6 Likes

I understand that as a car salesman it makes you nervous when I explain why you cannot lie to your customers and I let users here know that they have rights and powerful laws to protect them from fraudsters.

1 Like

Are you saying that everyone in NJ who doesn’t get their lease agreement 24 hours in advance is also breaking the law? When you claim salespeople are breaking the law by not informing, are they not doing that when they give you the lease contract for you to read, and you have the right to walk away for 24 hours to review it, unless you waive those rights by signing the specified waiver and the lease contract.

Let’s not pretend lawyers aren’t hated as well. I’m such a liar and so untransparent, man everyone must really hate me drops flawless review page.

:chocolate_bar:

1 Like

I never said any such thing. However if a salesperson says the car was a demo but it turns out to be a loaner or any other misrepresentation that induces the consumer to make the purchase they suffer a loss its actionable. And yes, if the dealer violates and requirement of the NJCFA or the related administrative code they have committed a per se violation of the act. Its there to protect consumers against scumbag car dealers and brokers.

1 Like

What loss has the OP suffered?

2 Likes

I thought OP bought the car in California, anyways, maybe time to close this thread, OP did not respond once.

2 Likes

Congratulations and enjoy your C300! You’ll be glad you leased this a fart car and didn’t buy that CPO. You have until disposition to educate yourself for a great lease deal on the next lease.

1 Like

Lol 30k is nothing, any respectable dealership makes double that in an average day. There’s no case here, OP was handed clearly written contracts and he signed them. If you’re too dull to understand what “demo” means you shouldn’t be purchasing a $50,000 vehicle. The dealership can sell a vehicle for whatever they please, “KBB” is meaningless. If you want to purchase a car for what KBB says, go buy it from them. Automotive dealerships are businesses, not charities. Profit isn’t illegal.

6 Likes

Basically ^^^^

Welcome to the world of sales OP, as many said you smelled stink and still decided to continue the process.

Someone sells you on the value of the product, they’re going to charge for a profit; all day every day. Ahh cars, such emotional purchases :upside_down_face:

1 Like