Leased a “Demo” 2020 Mercedes C300 - I got Screwed but was it “Legal?”

Congratulations and enjoy your C300! You’ll be glad you leased this a fart car and didn’t buy that CPO. You have until disposition to educate yourself for a great lease deal on the next lease.

1 Like

Lol 30k is nothing, any respectable dealership makes double that in an average day. There’s no case here, OP was handed clearly written contracts and he signed them. If you’re too dull to understand what “demo” means you shouldn’t be purchasing a $50,000 vehicle. The dealership can sell a vehicle for whatever they please, “KBB” is meaningless. If you want to purchase a car for what KBB says, go buy it from them. Automotive dealerships are businesses, not charities. Profit isn’t illegal.

6 Likes

Basically ^^^^

Welcome to the world of sales OP, as many said you smelled stink and still decided to continue the process.

Someone sells you on the value of the product, they’re going to charge for a profit; all day every day. Ahh cars, such emotional purchases :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Did you read the whole post that the OP made? You really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Another case of someone who chimes in that thinks he knows more than he actually does :rofl:.

3 Likes

My vote is to close this colossal waste of time since the OP never responded. Spare future readers of the climactical end that never comes.

7 Likes

Your response evidences how dealerships do business. If 30k was “nothing” why would they go nuts trying to negotiate 1k on a car? Multi billion dollar cable companies spend an extra 15k in attorney fees to avoid paying 300k vs 290k on employment lawsuits. On what basis have you deemed there is “no case here”? Have your studied or litigated the consumer fraud act? Overcharging is not illegal, making affirmative misrepresentations that the consumer relies on violates the consumer protection laws in most if not all states. Hell I just recovered treble damages and attorney fees on an AS-IS sale where the dealer lied about the condition of the vehicle notwithstanding an as-is provision.

1 Like

What misrepresentations seem to have occurred here?

Using demo and loaner as interchangeable terms? Particularly on vehicles that often are used for both purposes?

Telling him that his kbb and carfax pricing printouts don’t matter?

The dealer showing the msrp, which is used in setting pricing on a demo lease, so very much is relevant?

I could see an argument being made for the presumably missing features, although it’s unclear if they’re actually missing based on the op not responding to requests here to verify. If they are missing, a good place to start here would be asking about them.

What I see is a whole lot of cases of someone completely uninformed going in, making unfounded assumptions, and now being riddled with a bad case of buyer’s remorse.

2 Likes

Because it’s the salespersons job to scrape up every penny. When a store does +200 units a month, $1,000 per copy makes a sizable difference to the bottom line.

I’ve been in management in the automotive industry since 2016, my dealerships have been sued countless times over issues that are more severe than what is listed above. None of them went anywhere. Using the term “demo” isn’t a crime. Again, if you’re too dull to understand what “demo” means, you probably shouldn’t be buying a $50,000 vehicle in the first place. The dealership did not misrepresent a single thing.

1 Like

You joined April 8, 2020 yet wish you had found us before you walked into the dealership to get reamed 4 days ago?

9 Likes

Wonder if he found out it was loaner car before or after he signed the papers. Judging by the multiple red flags prior to him agreeing to the car, can’t be sure he didn’t knowingly take the loaner car. Nevertheless, it would be nice to know if the vin on the build sheet matches the actual vin of the car since that might be the only way to pursue some sort of recourse.

Yes he knew. Same guy who crashed a car into a pizzeria.

3 Likes

Looks like you got cold feet after the salesman played every trick in the book on you (legally). Unfortunately there is no cooling off period in Cali. It’s actually not too bad of a car to drive imo. How much should it have it cost to you to make you feel good?

Even a cave man understands that a “demo” with 8k miles is loaner.

2 Likes

Exactly… a demo and a loaner are essentially the same thing, I don’t get the argument here.

4 Likes

A non car person can easily mistake a demo, aka demonstrator vehicle, as one that is taken on test drives versus a loaner car which is loaned out to those in for service. Presumably or perhaps falsely, people might feel a demonstrator car is less likely to be abused than a loaner car, and thus view a demo more favorably than a loaner. That’s still not to say that this guy shouldn’t have done his proper due diligence especially in consideration of 8k “demo” miles, but I do get how people can be confused that the terms are used interchangeably in the auto world.

One has VIP farts and the other is just plebe farts

Salesman misled him the car has 8000 miles of only the finest farts from royalty

9 Likes

“if a man bites a dog-- it’s news, however if a dog bites a man, it’s not”

In other words, the car dealer is just being a car dealer, using typical car dealer tactics. I really don’t get what the fuss is about. The car is a decent spec, and for May 2021 the deal isn’t the worst. Drive on and enjoy the beautiful CA weather.

It’s the same thing… miles are miles. I can’t believe we’re still arguing this :man_facepalming:t3:.

4 Likes

OP, message me if you want me to reopen for a follow-up. Otherwise, we are done here.