Leased 2021 X3 in accident

The guy had progressive.
Just got off the phone with my body shop, Progressive sent another adjuster and now they may want to total my car. Turned out the initial assessment was pretty crappy, then I asked the car to be towed to my body shop to repair, Progressive sent a 2nd adjuster and repair cost 2x’ed without even taking my car apart. So now they are talking about total it…

1 Like

yes but there are so many unwritten words here. Insurance companies don’t always want to fix your car with OEM parts or at certified bodyshop. You have to fight for it sometimes and insist not to settle on aftermarket parts.

Get on the phone with Progressive RIGHT NOW and see if you can ‘arrange’ the equity to be sent to you before sending it to BMW.

hmm… do you mean the overage? was going to multiple threads but still can’t get a clear answer. Seem it really depends. Also given the Lienholder is BMWFS on my insurance and they are technically the owner not sure how this will play out. But yes, I will definitely try all the possibilities!

1 Like

Just don’t wait and hope, move now to see if you can tell them the buyout is $XXX and they need to give YOU the overage. Once BMW gets it, it’s gone.

1 Like

Unfortunately, BMW Financial Services will not issue any overages. My BMW was just declared a total loss at the end of November and know this first hand. Insurance company has to send the entire settlement check to the lienholder, aka BMW Financial Services if you lease. I’ve exhausted every effort before and after the settlement check was sent out.

My BMW was valued more than $15,000 more than what I owed on my lease, so it was a definite burn. Especially since the same BMW would be almost double what I was paying before. Garbage situation all around.

1 Like

Glad you’re ok and made it out of this without harm.

Not surprised they’ll prefer totaling, especially if there’s frame damage (not totally visible without a tear down). A lot of panels and probably labor-intensive.

1 Like

Yeah…that looks pretty gnarly…glad you’re okay. I’d be rattled for weeks.

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of things I am worried about. Seems one should be thankful if something I’m interested in is even in stock and ready for pick up… This got me rethink about leasing another car or should I buy my next car.

Have you tried / or thought about buying it out from BMWFS and have insurance send the check to you? TBH I don’t know if the insurance would work that way as BMWFS was the owner when I get my insurance and is listed as the lienholder on my insurance :pensive:

No, it’s too late for that. You would need to have been the owner before the accident.

1 Like

time to shop for a new car and pay the premium :rofl:

1 Like

Try to buy/finance a car that is still being sold close to pre-pandemic prices.

And was known to hold its value well even before shortages caused all used car prices to rise.

It did cross my mind about buying out the beamer so that I could get the check, but I’m pretty sure it’s insurance fraud lol def don’t want trouble over a few thousand dollars. My sympathies to you about the loss though… I know how sucky it feels. At the very least, I wish BMW would let us apply the overage toward another BMW just to retain us as customers in this inflated market. But because they want to profit on our loss and pocket it all, I took my money elsewhere.

+1 and sadly yes!

Similar situation here, car in the front suddenly brakes and I slammed the brake but still ran into him. Airbags deployed and I think it’s likely totaled. I was planning to buyout and sell the car in summer but here we go shopping again.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a guy with an X7 that got totaled and he tried to buy it out before the claim hit?

Anyone know what happened with that?

This is exactly why you should not think about buying and look to lease again. Don’t worry about the equity if the car is totaled. Worry about how much it will depreciate IF it is in an accident AND fixed. You’ll pay more to lease today, but in 3 years things MIGHT be different. If you buy now and overpay, then you’ll be stuck with the vehicle. If you go to trade it in 3 years down the road you might be underwater as far as the payments go.

Think the captive returned his check so he dodged a bullet.

I got a good deal with my lease back in 2020 - $550 / month with zero down from an out of state dealership. Just stoped by the local dealership today, for the same X3 I am looking at $700-800 / month :sob: checked out GLC as well the shortage made Mercedes even worse…

1 Like

haha I asked my adjuster and he actually said it’s doable. They will check the owner of the car before cutting the check and send it to the owner. But he has never seen one in real life lol

I wish too but guess they couldn’t care less about customer retention in this crazy market. What did you end up getting just curious? I checked GLC and also XC60 but still liked X3 better :sweat: