Lease with 600 credit score?

That’s not the definition of urgency.

Also: not sure if it’s been mentioned but gross salaries are kinda meaningless without understanding what someone’s living costs are and therefore what kinda payment they can comfortably afford

1 Like

I see that her “urgency” is based on emotion and you are trying to reason with her using logic.
Won’t work - just a though from a married guy😂
Think of emotion to use to slow down the urgency.
May be check into 2019 VWs. They are still in lot and some I see online discounts close to 15%-20%.
Finance with credit union. In 3 years may be you could refinance at lower rate of credit builds up enough.

1 Like

I would agree that used cars are a bad bet right now. They are just irrationally expensive. What’s not irrationally expensive right now …sedans. Especially less popular sedans. First Chevy dealership I looked at is listing this new Malibu at 15.5k. Sure might be some games but that gives you a general sense of how soft the sedan market is. Even if it is a little more expensive than a used car, you have a warranty and a car unlikely to leave you stranded - both of which have value.

2 Likes

I would steer clear of domestics but that’s just me. Either get a new Corolla/Civic or find one preowned,. Preferably no more than 2 years old. Those things will last for decades easily with very low upkeep cost and still retain good resale value. If she likes tech, stick with the Civic.

Toyota just recently start adding ACP/AA in their cars. As had mentioned countless times, spend no more than half of the cash and save the rest. In this time cash is king, also if there’s any remote chance that she may get laid off , let her keep driving the rust bucket.

Pre-owned currently have jumped sky level during COVID. Not the best idea.

Check how many cars are sold to Carvana and Vroom and priced people are shocked and can’t wait to dump their rides.

If they are buying at those levels where do you think they are selling them?

1 Like

Based on the info provided thus far, the OP’s girlfriend is not a good candidate to jump on to the hamster wheel of repeated (perhaps perpetual) leasing.

Buy the cheapest brand new Toyota she can find and drive it until the wheels fall off. Or at least 8 years.

1 Like

That’s sound advice in theory but I don’t think she would be ready to drive it for 8 year and would want to rewards herself with something new once credit improves in 3-4 years.

Your logic will fall apart against her emotions unfortunately as it doesn’t for many others.

1 Like

If this is yet another “I’m asking for a friend… who will not listen to my advice” thread, then we should just shut it down.

5 Likes

We won’t know if it’s that unless OP says so.
But then again it could turn into another $900 Honda used to teach others.

with GM it’s automatic tier 1 when you do a one-pay lease. as long as her credit isn’t showing any current derogs.

7 Likes

OP, making $42k/yr, 600 credit score, only $10k cash your girlfriend is a great candidate for Dave Ramsey. Nobody like this should be buying or leasing a new car. New cars will be around in 5-10 years when she has built up more savings and earnings. For now, she needs to get the cheapest reliable transportation possible. I’d be looking in the $5k range for a used car private party.

Not the case.

We’ve had plenty of these discussions here before. Buying isn’t always cheaper.

Ok, not worth rehashing but I’d take my chances on something cheap if I was starting out.

If she did not have $10k in cash, I would probably agree with you. If she has lots of credit card debt, then she should definitely not be looking to buy anything (new or used). At least she has a beater that takes her from point A to point B.

The other point I would like to make is that if OP’s girlfriend can advance her career and make more money in a couple of years, while paying down debt and improving her credit then she will be in a much better financial situation.

EDIT: If you have AAA, you get an additional $325 off the no-haggle price (https://discounts.aaa.com/automotive/hertz-car-sales).

1 Like

Why on earth would recommend buying a former rental especially with those miles (no warranty and perhaps no maintenance done in those 30K+ miles)?

1 Like

So when you told her she was in no position to lease a car she listened to you and gave up on that idea?

I was just pointing out that for less than $15k, she can get a decent 2-year old car. Of course, I would not recommend buying a used car without any remaining manufacturers warranty.

If you read some of my previous comments, I had suggested that OP’s girlfriend go with a new car (only if she can swing it and has no credit car debts).

Let’s wait for @endo1234 to come back and tells us more of the story.