Lease vs purchase

IMHO it make sense to buy used car if it fully loaded with all possible options.
The attractive lease offers are usually for cars with basic options. If you’ll try to lease fully loaded german car the numbers will be far away from what we see on LH.

I own loaded 2013 Lexus RX450h for 37months and ~14k miles/yr effective ~$325/month. Leasing would be twice more expensive, I guess.

This is why leasing the luxury arm model of the vehicle (where bare model is already well equipped) is often more economical than leasing the fully loaded version of the mainstream model, especially if the luxury model offers MSDs.

newby here - but i’m still interested in an answer to the original question about - where on earth do you find these lease deals where you’re getting 10%-13% off the price.
i’m in jersey and everything i can find is priced high and tight … at best there’s 1750 incentive
which puts a $58k msrp 530ix about $775+ for 36 mths and $0 down
so i’m finding it hard to believe all these $300/m bmw leases

reading is your best friend – you should go over the plethora of bmw posts – you will become a believer lol

You shop aggressively or go with one of the many brokers on here.

1 Like

i have been reading - but that aint gonna get me a quoted price from a dealer
while it does appear alot of the great deals are “loaners”
i dont believe there are that many loaners out there

my dealer is offering me only $1750 on aa $56k 530i x
at this point my only option is to say no

and tag $75/mth onto that for taxes and disposition

i dont understand the broker concept - do they own these cars? do they provide financing? are they just middlemen? and if so - where are they getting these great deals from?

Dealer relationships and networks. There are a number of brokers who have good BMW deals on here in your area (NY/NJ)

2 Likes

They’re middlemen that tend to have preexisting relationships with dealers. Generally you pay a small price, but get a great deal without any effort. Sometimes you don’t pay a fee, but the broker gets a kickback from the dealer for bringing them business.

2 Likes

hmmm, ok. I dont get why a dealer would do that, but it doesn’t sound impossible

so, i suppose, brokers are akin to independent salesmen?
so then i would expect to make the final sale with the dealer? or is that case-by-case

Dealer gets to move inventory and put 0 effort into the transaction. They don’t make much on the deal but they don’t have to burn any calories either. Moving more volume means they get to bring in more vehicles to sell at higher markups.

2 Likes

got it thanks…

i would love to get a name of one of those local dealers in ny/nj - cause i want a BMW :smiley_cat: but i also want to pay $300/mth

Ok do you have loyalty? Ol code? Identified a loaner? Searched 500 mile radius? Even then you will not pay 300 for a 530xi.

1 Like

NO loyality code or OL? code or loaner identified
I am a newbie to this bmw lease process.

And yes, i exaggerated a little - but here are two deals far under $700+/mth

I do see the dealer area - which i will look into.
BTW: is there any knowledge of upcoming deals - like next month nov’19?

No one knows what next month’s lease programs will be.

1 Like

Here is a possible deal for x1 loaner in zip 21228. <$300 a month. didn’t verify incentives.
Use assumed doc, fees.

Manufacturers offer dealers various volume-based incentives. In certain circumstances it can be more lucrative to push certain models out the door as quickly as possible even if the profit on each sale is small. For example, if a dealer gets a fat bonus for selling 30 of a particular model in a quarter, that quarter ends in three days, and they’re four cars away from their goal, they’re gonna ping every broker in their rolodex and take the losses.

Also sometimes you just have to jump on a plane or have a car shipped to get the best deal. The shipping costs of my x2 deal is paid for in 3 months compared to all the local deals that were offered to me.

In fact in the last 4 leases every single one has been out of state, and 3 of them I’ve gotten a one way ticket and drove back.

2 Likes

Truth. A unicorn BMW deal in the upper Midwest is 13% off a loaner with max MF :crazy_face:

1 Like

Similar to the BMW CPo example, ran something similar on a 2014 Audi A6 CPO purchased in March 2015 with 8K miles.

Now have 81K miles
MSRP: $52K+
CPO Cost $39K+ sales taxes/fees: ~$42K (included Audi Care from original owner)
CPO Warranty end date: Dec 2019

Current Value: $13-14K
Maint Costs: ~4-5K (includes 3 sets of tires, brakes/pads at indie shop, CPO deductibles, other small adders for 65K and 75K service out of Audi Care)

I figure my monthly cost is in the $600 range by owning and I did my best to minimize maintenance costs with DIY and using Indie shop out of Audi Care except Oil Changes and CPO Warranty claims. Probably less as tires would be needed on 36/15 or 36/12 lease but cost of capital probably balances that out.

I could be halfway through a 2nd 36/15 lease with newer technology and no worries about CPO Warranty ending next month and having to sell a 6 year old Audi with over 80K miles.

The Audi depreciation crater and upfront sales tax are killers. I originally thought buying a gently used CPO at 25% off MSRP would work in my favor.

Seems buying an Audi could only possibly make any sense in year 2-3 of CPO with low miles (40%+ off MSRP) and a solid indie shop for when the CPO period ends (now only 5 yrs instead of 6)

3 Likes