Lease vs Buying BMW

Thanks for the input I’ve decided to buy a 2006 x3 with 120k miles

5 Likes

Um…

Well…

Okay.

Have fun paying for your service advisor’s new lake house. Seriously, good luck with your new ride.

2 Likes

I like your style

2 Likes

Very rebellious, like a teenager.

OP question was whether it’s worth buying a CPO car, then turns around and buys a 13yr old potential basket case.

Whatever, it’s their money to throw into a bottomless pit.

1 Like

Maybe he’s just trolling, no one is this stupid.

2 Likes

I wish I believed that.

1 Like

Lease 100% I own a E92 328i and I’m at over 10k in repairs (thank god for 3rd party warranties) this will be the last BMW I own.

1 Like

And that’s just on a 3 series. I can’t imagine being buried into an X5 or a 7 series, I’d probably stick a lit rag in the filler neck and walk away.

1 Like

tell me about it. They were almost all oil leaks (aside from getting my spark plugs replaced twice)

Well, according to economics market theory, the price he paid for the BMW is based on the demand for the vehicle, which would also take into consideration the overall buyer’s market perception of the reliability of the vehicle or something like. Maybe I made some of that up. I’m just a guy on the internet.

I find most domestic makes to be just as unreliable as german makes, but in general they’re cheaper to fix and likely have more readily available parts whether new or used. I’ve been on the other side of that fence as well when we had a Cruze Diesel, when it’s DPF had to replaced under warranty it was in the shop for about 7 weeks waiting for the part to become available (started giving problems after lemon law coverage period)

Would anyone be interested in follow ups regarding how my 2006 x3 with 120k is turning out.

Still trying to figure out what to offer $4k or $5k

I think them paying you $4k to take it is reasonable.

1 Like

How about, No kay’s.

1 Like

1,500 and a case of beer. After your 23 minutes of trouble-free driving, you’ll be glad you have the extra 2500 in the bank.

2 Likes

No, b/c any of us who have the misfortune of owning a German car out of warranty already know exactly how this is going to turn out. Sorry. :man_shrugging:

But, actually, do post updates. It will be interesting to see if you can be the lucky exception.

1 Like

And the beers will help with the first stage of grief.

I’d recommend an offering with at least 9% ABV

1 Like

I read Roundel regularly. While I completely and emphatically agree that owning vs leasing is a challenging proposition, owning and working on old cars is a blast if you have the tools, patience, and money. The CCA enthusiasts love their classics, and some of us like low tech, nanny-free rides occasionally. As a thrifty spender who watches my $0.01s, I place value on owning old cars even when their costs are higher than cheap leases, even old BMWs

Wouldn’t wanna own any 20xx X3 tho :wink:

3 Likes

Guys the engine already stopped working…J/k :wink:

No car payments or tech for me. This doesn’t even have bluetooth! Hello dark ages

I am going to go celebrate with a :slight_smile:

2 Likes