Lease vs buy. 0% APR?

OP clearly indicated RV at 40%. Unless you’re financing for a shorter period, you’re upside down for a majority of your loan.
I don’t want to get in a pissing match, but saying that it makes sense to pay $60k for a car that’ll be worth ~$20k after 5 years seems like the “stupidest argument.” For 40k and 5 years you could be leasing an M4 the entire time…

So you just ignore the rest of the OP’s statement that he’s getting a huge discount off MSRP and not paying $60k for it?

Sad thing is even at 24K off they’re likely upside down out of the gate.

Possibly, but I’m just pointing out @Buster’s miscalculation on the price and monthly payment numbers.

Personally, I would never want to own a Jaguar.

1 Like

Guys I offered my opinion on a question. There obviously is no right or wrong answer to his question, I tried to add numbers to help prove my point. I’m not saying it’s my way or the highway, feel free to offer your opinion as well, I would love to learn something new! (that’s why I enjoy this website)
I admit, I did not think about high enough discounts to negate negative equity but just from my experience that’s money you will never see.

2 Likes

You’re using incorrect numbers to prove your point, which isn’t helpful.

Ya I missed OP’s reply stating I-Pace and 24k off. Maybe I should go back to lurking :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Arguably, some cars could be free yet still not be worth keeping.

1 Like

In your example, you are not accounting for equity build in your purchased car
Let’s don’t forget, car companies are making money from their financial arms and those divisions are run by very smart well educated people. They are not going to lose money on a lease to you considering all the risks that come with a lease vs a purchase as discussed by other posters here
Financially in general terms; buying a new car every year or two is the worst, then leasing then keeping a used car for 5-7 years.
I purchased a used Lexus CT in beginning of 2013 for 26k, since then I have put 125k miles on it with out a hiccup -granted that will not be the case with a jaguar or BMW- carvana offers $6500 for it, so less than 20k in depreciation in about 8 years, that comes to about 200/month…keep in mind this Lexus will not depreciate more than $6500 from this point forward haha.
So, yes…leasing in a great avenue to always have the best and newest tech or safety and this forum helps ppl not to get ripped off by dealers…but definitely don’t fool urself by thinking you are saving money.
Funny thing, I sold a 2008 fj cruiser to get the Lexus due to gas prices, since then gas prices are much lower and Toyota discontinued FJ which has made their values skyrocket…so everything is an spectrum haha

1 Like

This is true sometimes, but it is also something that causes people to overextend themselves. Leasing definitely normalizes your cash flow, so month to month, you aren’t spending as much, but one really needs to run the calculations on a case by case basis to see if there is actually any net savings over purchasing. Very often there isn’t.

2 Likes

Funny you mention the FJ and depreciation. I bought a used GTI right before DieselGate and you can just imagine what that did to resale. Only sold it because I was pretty sure the engine was about to blow which would have cost me more than it was worth. Maybe that’s another plus to consider when leasing? If resell is affected negatively you won’t see it on your end.

How much did you spend in maintenance and repairs over the 7 years?

You can’t ask yourself buy vs. lease without considering how long you’d hold on to it if you bought. Buying and holding long term is usually cheaper, even after repairs and maintenance. If you would sell anyways in 3-4 years then you need to look at RVs vs real world resale. For example, I’d wager BMWs are better to lease due to RVs vs Porsche which is a better purchase.

4 Likes

Why the etron over the Ipace? The residual value isn’t that much better and I’m getting a bigger discount off the iPace. Money factor is also higher on the etron. The decision really is between those two cars at the moment.

Of course, there are houses selling for $1, but you have to pay property tax and up keep. There are stocks that trade below book too.

Not sure what the technical differences are, but I thought there was some incentives from Audi that made it a good deal. Either way they are both very nice cars.

It is on its third set of tires, $600ish mounted from Costco. It was installed at 115k so it should be good for another 40k
Front and rear brakes and rotors are done once, independent mechanic $225/axle
Transmission oil and battery coolant flush was done just recently at Toyota dealer for $275.
Besides items above it has been $50 for oil change every 5k.
It’s a Toyota Prius underneath, so it’s cheap to maintain and near impossible to break.
Some fancier German car will have a much much higher maintenance cost obviously.

Say a prayer for your inverter and HV battery. Some generations are reportedly more reliable than others. But the gas you saved I mean :fuelpump:

I have two independent mechanics that I trust. Brake job cost me $200/axle on the Lexus while the 07 328i was over $500.

It’s based on a 3rd gen Prius, those problems u r mentioning are more from the second gen. I figured if taxi cabs in NY can run these things for 400k miles, I should be good.
Even a better argument for purchase slightly used can be a 4-5 year used (previous gen) f150, tundra, Tacoma, or sierrra, those have slightly higher maintenance costs but depreciation is minuscule.
Just imagine putting 10-15k that you are not paying for lease every 3 years into market, that will make for a nice retirement

2 Likes