Lease transfer with sale in mind

Hello!

First things first, I am so thankful for this forum; it has saved me thousands of dollars!

I have a 2020 Lincoln Navigator lease that is coming due in April of 2023. The lease payment is $886 and the buyout is $53k ($83k MSRP) .

My initial plan was to buy it and sell it myself for about $67k. I have been watching them online and similar cars are selling for $70k+.

The problem with that is when I buy it I will have to pay 6.25% tax ($3,312).

So then I started thinking about transferring it to someone who understands leases and who ultimately plans to buy it! We would both save some money on taxes and they would get a better deal on the car because of that.

I have a couple questions:

1a. Is it Ford that has a rule banning lease transfer in the last 6 months of the lease?

1b. If so, if I took advantage of the 2 month lease extension that Ford is offering does that give me some extra time to find a buyer?

1. Is there anything I am missing in my thought process? This new lease owner is paying tax on a lower amount and I am skipping the tax all together.

Thanks in advance!

I dont believe Ford credit will allow tramsfers in the last 6 months, but I may be wrong.

What state are you in? You tagged CA and TX. The tax implications for a buy out to resell are significantly different between the two.

It is not California. The lowest sales tax rate here in California is 7.25%

Did a ford dealer make an offer? Or the 6 month rule applies as well?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I did not mean to tag California, I am in Texas.

The best trade in offer I have gotten so far is $54k which is lower than I am willing to accept.

Any thoughts on how the 2 month lease extension would impact the 6 month rule?

Your plan was to clear about 67-56=11k? No one is going to pay that for a lease transfer.

What’s the highest offer you’ve received from your online aggregators if you were to click “I own this car”?

The only way someone would pay that for a lease transfer is if they ultimately wanted to buy it. They would pay tax on $53,000 instead of $67,000 and would get the car cheaper than similar are listed online.

I have had a couple offers at trade in value and looked at some “buy my car” websites but those prices are all wholesale.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.