Lease return issue-Non Essesntial business shut down

You get to keep the car for an extra month so you pay an extra month, is that correct? If so, how is that so unfair?

4 Likes

I understand that im keeping the car so it should be paid for. But I want to turn the car in, I didnt want another months payment. I can’t because return places are closed.

1 Like

It’s completely unfair. It’s not part of the contract.

2 Likes

Sounds fair to me. Shared sacrifice.

Does it always have to be the other person to give everything?

What would be a fair and workable solution in your mind?

3 Likes

There are things I would be more concerned about right now than holding on to your car for another month…

If all dealers are closed, what is your replacement plan?

Serious question here…

What are you really expecting? That you keep the car for another month and they forgive your payment? Just remember, this is bigger than you. If they did this for everyone, how could they sustain?

4 Likes

Two words: Force Majeure

1 Like

Split the payment with me

Yea, then why not force me to pay my lease for the next 6 months past the end date?

Maybe they will. I guess we will see.

1 Like

I’m aware this is bigger then me. But at the same time people are laid off or cut hours left and right but they should get their full amount from everyone. I totally get your point that there is a lot of moving pieces. With the quarantine we could get away with one car right now anyway

1 Like

The service centers of the dealerships are open. So maybe they will ask you to return the car to the dealership.

Best way is to work with your Captive. Maybe they’ll just use your garage as a storage and not have you pay.

I asked that but he said their return centers aren’t open

I am completely sympathetic to that. In that scenario, I would ask them for deferred payments.

1 Like

The issue is if the shoe was on the other foot would they let him return the car a month early? Fairness needs to be a two way street.

Also, assuming it’s a non luxury make with an expiring warranty, he is assuming significant risk moving forward. What about wear and tear? Are they gonna waiver the charge for new tires and break pads in three months. If is in in a state with expensive registration fees will he owe another 1000 bucks for that month?

If this were me and my Acura lease, I would keep the car happily. Warranty is 4 years/50k, VA registration is cheap, our annual property tax prorated and I have the ability to pay. But I can see situation where keeping the car is really disadvantageous to the OP.

4 Likes

Everyone is trying to figure things out. Today is the 1st day back after the announcement so just work with them and they’ll help you.

1 Like

Exactly! The consumer always must come first. When consumers need help, they can’t force dealers to make concessions.

Right now you don’t need the car. But you might want to hold on to it. Because when people return to work and dealership sales depts re-open, there’s going to be so many people there and deals might be pretty bad on day one or even week one.

You really don’t want to be one of those people who desperately need a car ASAP

I get that. I technically have until Thursday and this is day 1. Honestly I could tell in the guys voice he was confused on what exactly should be done. That’s why I asked to speak to a manager and he said to give a call back in 2 hours and have me an extension. Have to help each other

Taking a step back, will the warranty expire in four days? Does your state charge expensive registration fees? These are factors that really impact your decision.

I don’t see the dealers being flooded. I have 5 family members laid off or cut to part time. I don’t think many people will be running to dealers no?

1 Like