Lease or Finance 2022 Mercedes Benz S580 Sedan

is that from MBFS? I am not sure, I have a credit score above 800 and no credit card debit. Not sure what these underwriters look for.

If there was a killer lease on a $150k car, I can see it worthwhile to discuss how to maximize the deal and/or obtain the car.

But in this case, OP committed to a $150k car knowing that it was unlikely to lease well. Am I the only one that finds it odd that we’re discussing the best financing terms for a $150k car?

There’s not much difference between financing $150k at 3% ($2279) or 4.5% ($2381). If you can afford a $150k car, just pay cash or put down however much you want and finance the rest. The difference in payment isn’t material at this price point.

9 Likes

penfed which i assume you applied to?

The problem is you got like $20K in options on top of the base S580 trim, which essentially eliminates a balloon loan. I actually think the MBFS lease sounds like the best deal, I would try to get the MF down to buy rate and then put down max MSD.

If you financed, your balance at the end of 48 months would be $53k-$54k (interest rate doesn’t matter much) compared to the $65,221 MBFS residual. That should be the basis for your decision.

How realistic is the MBFS residual and how will the $20k in options truly retain their value?

I would probably agree with z0lt3c because i) options usually don’t hold their value and ii) I believe CA taxes on lease payment so you would save $3000 in taxes by leasing vs paying sales tax on the full vehicle.

But for $2400/month for an S-Class. :flushed: :flushed: :flushed:

DCU has 65 months for 2.24%.

Processing will be glacial, and god help you if you need to call.

Secure messaging only gets generic responses asking you to call the loan department, where the phone queue is 90 minutes to three and a half hours deep.

If they need something from you they may call, and if you can’t speak at that moment they will tell you they’ll call you back – but never will.

Eventually they’ll get it done, and maybe not the way you want, but the money’s cheap.

So you ordered the car and are NOW asking what a realistic discount should be? This should have been a discussion at the time of ordering. I assume they took a deposit at time of order, yes? And you just agreed to MSRP at that time?

1 Like

OP, it seems the majority advice is that if you want to retain the @success handle for a long time, you walk away from the deal assuming you have a refundable deposit on this. Over 2k on an s580 only makes sense for those with money to burn (and thus no need to consult leasehackr).

Once you get this dog, you will be in negative equity territory and won’t be able to flip it without incurring over 10k haircut.

Deposits are refundable in CA :cowboy_hat_face:

Tough choice even if the finance might be a better “deal”.I personally would rather lease the car to feel more comfortable with this market. Ask for base money factor and if the payment is reasonable for you go for it @success

This is why I unloaded our 2019 almost a year before lease end (no equity at the time in April 2021) for a 2020 $127K car leasing for $1300 with maintenance included. I knew the numbers on the 21-22 would be atrocious.

1 Like

Different market now and a completely redesigned, brand new model. Although, $2400 is a lot of money.

I will stop by the dealer today and try to get the car for 5% off MSRP and see what happens.

Cool car and one of my favorites in the segment. I’d also favor lease not because of it being the best deal.

1. No need to figure out diminish value if in an accident
  2. Sales tax savings
  3. Residual is a gamble during these times.

While you’re at it, ask for a 30 day test drive. I’m sure they will be very receptive.

2 Likes

Why would they agree to this after you already ordered at msrp ?

I don’t think there’s a dealer in the country that is selling this car for under MSRP at the moment. Lucky to get it at MSRP. If you really truly want this car, I would bite the bullet. Personally, I don’t think the redesign is nice enough to warrant the premium but to each their own.

1 Like

A conversation you should have had before you placed an order :man_facepalming:

I’m sure the dealer will be willing to discount it another $7,410 on a special ordered hard to find model out of the goodness of their heart.

1 Like

Not a chance. You’re asking to go on a first date and the two of you have already married.

You miss 100% of the shots you dont take right?