Lease New vs. Buy CPO Analysis/Discussion: M550 for a Low-Mileage User

How’s the exhaust burble. Enjoy the new car by any measure!

In Comfort you hear virtually nothing, but in Sport Plus it makes itself known (but it’s far less compelling/obnoxious [depending on your point of view] than a Z4 M40i).

Nice! What packages/options does it have?

It isn’t heavily optioned. It has the Driving Assistance Package, heated seats, and the wheels you can see in the photo.

The only thing it’s missing from my wish list is Nappa leather, but this is the very nicest used vehicle I’ve seen on my recent shopping exploits, so it wasn’t worth holding out for something with the right seats.

1 Like

The right question is “how big is the trunk?”

4 Likes

It’s a 5 series, I’m assuming it’s big enough for all of @trism’s nefarious needs.

1 Like

Congrats! Looks very sharp. Curious - what were the final projected numbers for depreciation? Assuming you sell this beauty in 2-3 years, what will the numbers work out to?

@trism congratulations and enjoy!

I can’t imagine the cargo organizer will be interchangeable

I was waiting for someone to make that callback.

I wish I could say that my analysis was that precise.

I assume I’ll lose $15-20k over three years, so I compared that against:

• What I could lease for 36 months for the same money instead (nothing I want);
  • What it would cost to lease a new M550 for 36 months (high $20,000s).

That made the decision pretty easy.

Getting something with < 20k miles instead of 40k+ as I was originally considering also increases the likelihood I’ll keep the car longer.

Also… while I don’t see myself keeping this for 9 years like I did my current vehicle and the one before that, I do expect to keep it beyond 3. After 3 years it still likely won’t reach 35,000 total miles.

3 Likes

I submitted the CCA rebate request as an M model, and CCA approved it.

I suppose BMW could kick it back, they could review it and just pay $250 instead, or this really is an M car for the purpose of the CCA CPO rebate.

I’ll post an update when I know the outcome.

https://i.imgur.com/jeICCEC.png

1 Like

“It’s time for a class-action lawsuit.”

Sincerely,
The Internet

4 Likes

I have a team of lawyers standing by. :laughing:

I am planning to post occasional updates to this thread, primarily to account for maintenance costs, plus any OOP repair costs after the original warranty and CPO coverages expire, but here is an update on the upfront costs.

As mentioned, the Loyalty Credit required BMWFS financing, so I took a 36-month term to get the lowest APR (0.9%).

I agreed to keep the loan open for three payment cycles so BMWFS doesn’t charge back the $500 incentive to the dealer, and so the dealer’s finance rep doesn’t lose her commission on the loan.

The loan is now paid down to $135, which I’ll finish off when the March payment is due (which will be 3 payment cycles following delivery).

Interest is now accumulating at a rate of (($135*0.009)/365) = $0.003 per day, so less than 15 cents of additional interest will accrue between now and then.

$50,750 - purchase price
(131) - credit card rewards
(500) - Loyalty Credit
(250) - BMWCCA CPO post-sale rebate
34 - interest on financing
(5) - courtesy credit from Bank of America for delayed payment delivery**

$49,898

** I’ll explain this in my next post

1 Like

This post is more for amusement than anything… this was incredibly frustrating.

My original intention was to make a large additional principal payment with the first scheduled P+I payment, leaving only two payments plus a modest additional balance to pay off right after the third scheduled payment was due.

Unfortunately, I ran into some obstacles:

1. BMWFS’ site would only accept $7,500 in payments per calendar month (for reasons they could not explain).

2. BMWFS will not accept a payment by wire (our bank doesn’t charge us a fee to send a wire).

3. Our bank’s bill pay service would only make payments to BMWFS by ACH under a certain dollar threshold (which they either can’t or won’t disclose; the threshold is set by the payee). Over $X and the payment papers out to a check, which has to be printed and mailed.

So shortly after I got my BMWFS account number I scheduled the first $7,500 ACH payment directly with BMWFS, scheduled a $32,500 paper check to be mailed by B of A, and then waited until 1/1 and scheduled another $7,500 ACH pull directly with BMWFS.

B of A’s bill payment system said the $32,500 payment would arrive by 1/6, but it didn’t, it took until 1/12… so I contacted the bank afterward and they gave me a credit of ((($32,500*0.009)/365)*6)=$4.80 for the additional finance charges I incurred due to the delayed payment delivery.

Since then I’ve made the scheduled January and February payments, leaving $135.xx to be paid on 3/13, the third scheduled payment date… at which point this lunacy should all be behind me.

1 Like

Was there a minimum amount that needed to be financed with BMWFS or could you have paid a large down payment?

Yes, there is a minimum. I don’t recall the amount. Since I wrongly assumed that my approach would be just as simple I didn’t pause very long to consider doing it that way.

That’s the lesson for next time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty sure BMWFS accepted a wire last time but maybe it’s different when paying off a car in full.

Their web site says they don’t accept wires for payoffs, but the agent I talked to said they don’t accept wires at all. It’s possible the agent was uninformed… I didn’t HUCA.

Now for a cost/benefit analysis of auto-scheduling $7,500/month payments vs the finance charges saved by the above method

I have more money in my pocket than if I’d used the time instead to write and post overly-complex situational analyses on public message boards.

3 Likes