Lease New vs. Buy CPO Analysis/Discussion: M550 for a Low-Mileage User

I don’t disagree with the logical part of that.

I built in consumer perception into my thought process, which could elevate the newer M-prefixed equivalent to some emotional level above its non-M-prefixed predecessor.

Who knows by how much, and I’m sure it’s going to vary from consumer to consumer.

It’s hard to determine either way, but it doesn’t seem like there is so much value in getting a higher-mileage CPO.

Several months back, there would have been significant differences in pricing in a low-mileage CPO and a close to out-of-warranty CPO BMW. Now I guess things are different.

1 Like

I now think something like one of these makes a lot more sense:

I don’t care passionately about any specific options or packages, so those would basically be tie breakers between two similar vehicles.

1 Like

I will say that the left one is a blue that looks like a grey, so there’s that.

Either way, it seems like that higher-mileage one is just overpriced or there is definitely room to negotiate.

1 Like

Any thoughts on a 2016 e63? They are getting close to bottoming out, alternatively how is the 2018 m5 looking like?

1 Like

E63s bottom out in the 20s with normal mileage or 30s with very low mileage … the 2016s are nowhere close to bottoming out.

I haven’t liked the appearance of the E Class since the W211 (had to look that up, not a hardcore car guy).

The M5 would be even more fun than an M550, but it’s overkill for the intended use (primarily a grocery getter).

1 Like

Historically after 6 years they tend to slow their depreciation drastically.

I.e something like

Day 1- 100k
Year 3 - 65k
Year 6 - 40k
Year 9- 32k
Year 12 - 27k

Assuming low mileage like @trism says.

Not bottoming out per say but rather the best value imo, still a newer car and the depreciation has been eaten up.

W211 is my favorite as well, something about the e55, the e63 after that and the next e63 never really appealed to me because they were harder to pull power out with simple bolt ons.

It wasn’t until the 5.5 twin turbo came out that it peaked my interest. I think the 14-16 e63 has way more style and presence than f10 m5 and f90 m5 (without port ordered cf)

1 Like

Is there an easier way to find a vehicle’s in-service date than contacting the dealer who’s advertising the car?

I’m willing to pay for a short-term subscription to a vehicle history site while I’m looking for the right vehicle.

Even if I could just see the date it was first registered that would help.

Carfax

10 characters

1 Like

Thank you.

I was hoping to use it more as a screening tool (i.e., potentially a dozen or more requests per month for a couple of months).

If you are only looking at dealer owned cars you should be able to see the in service date with Carfax.

1 Like

Currently having this debate right now. Very interesting and relevant thread.

Have been looking at a 2017 genesis g90, currently lower miles 2-3 years of warranty left and priced in low to mid 30s.

I really feel we are at a significant turning point with cars, the new hybrid f-150 is my base case where we are going to have some significant performance jumps in the next 18-24 months and With most companies no longer letting leases be swapped should I really lock myself up for 36 months.

If there was a Great 24 month deal I would prob lease in a heartbeat even if I had to spend more than my budget (800-900 per month).

1 Like

If you dig around online, there are people with a Carfax subscription who will run the VIN if you Paypal them a few bucks. You might find several on a popular message board of the brand of car you are looking at.

5 Likes

Thanks for the comments. I sampled some random Southern California BMW dealers (I’m still on the path to a 2018 CPO M550), and many of them offer the Carfax report for free on the site.

It should have occurred to me that a lot of the CPOs available now were probably originally leased 2 years plus 30-60 days ago… so I’m unlikely to find one that went into service late in the model year (which would mean there’s more warranty).

I may not need to do as much screening as I originally thought.

1 Like

Since you have a great indy, you could look into a W211 E55 or similar vintage BMW like an E39 (2001-2003) M5.

Yes, you’ll be spending some more on maintenance

But your depreciation is 0 with some upside. Put it on BaT with the little accrued mileage you’ll have added and it will sell above a conservative reserve for sure.

Your biggest problem in 3 years will be finding someone with $30K cash for a garden-variety BMW (any non-///M) like a 550i (not to diminish it, but if we are going to be rational then let’s call a spade a spade).

The liquidity in the private party market is kids with a budget that matches their age that typically want 3-series and $100K+ exotics… very thin the middle.

3 Likes

My main motivation for getting rid of my current functional and so-far reliable vehicle (2011 with 84,000 miles) is to get something with more modern amenities.

I did flirt with the idea of a mostly-depreciated 911 for some of the same reasons as you outlined, but I’d prefer to spend some money on depreciation and get something a lot more current.

I came really close to leasing an S8 a couple of weeks ago, but I keep asking myself, “How much are you willing to spend on something that will barely be driven?”

Complicating matters is that I’m already leasing a car at our other place where I spend 2/3 of my time, and this is where I’m sitting 17 months in.

Imgur

No regrets, I love the car, but compounding that with a second lease 2,000 miles away doesn’t make any sense at all. And yet I’m also not willing to do nothing.

1 Like

Buy a 911
100%

No need for technology in a 911

Plus, the depreciation will be so minimal you’ll love it even more.

Or a nice low mileage Macan S like this one

1 Like

I do not want an SUV of any kind.

I may have looked at this ad a few times, however.

4 Likes

I fully support that^^

4 Likes