Lease longer or just buy beater?

This isn’t meant to be anything but an opinion and discussion
Im leasing my p2 c300 at the moment for 194 and currently attending pa school, but learned my clinicals next year could be pretty far away. So I’m wondering with my measly 10k/year miles if I should swap away my Mercedes and either buy a used car, an suv, maybe a land cruiser or tacoma, or try to get a cheap compact or suv that would get around 15k miles a year. What would y’all do.

I’d wait and see where you’re going first before jumping the gun on any major decision. It could end up being closer than you think.

When do they let you know?

How many miles is pretty far away? How many miles a year do you anticipate you would drive and would it be just for 1 year or longer?

if your payment is $194 now for 10k, another 5k per year will cost you extra $1250 per year (at 25c per mile - I assume that’s what benz charges, could be less if the allow pre-purchase miles at discount). That’s pretty much an extra $100/mo. So you’ll be at $300/mo instead of $194. I say keep it as long as it’s under warranty.

MBZ charges at .20/mi

so then it’s $1000 for extra 5000 mi/yr. To me it’s a no brainer to hold on to the car given his sub-$200 current payment and just pay for the extra miles.

Oh really? How do I go about doing that? Can I do that at any dealership or just call mbfs. is there a deadline?

How many miles is pretty far away? How many miles a year do you anticipate you would drive and would it be just for 1 year or longer? They said it could be up to 200 miles away, I mean at that point id relocate for the period but otherwise not sure.

Call mbfs directly and see if you can pre purchase some miles at this point.

called today and they told me it was 25 cents/mile unfortunately, still not awful. Ill probably consider that and keep the car for now.

Thanks for keeping me honest. Perhaps it was my misunderstanding and only certain models are contracted at .20/mi. Good data point and thanks for posting an update!

I’d call again just in case and see if they sell them at discount if you buy them now not at lease end. BMW always gave a break in extra miles price if purchased ahead of time so maybe they do too. In any case even at 25c its not bad as i pointed out in a previous reply

good idea ill try the HUCA method in case one does say its 20 cents.