Lease in PA (transfer to NY) - Fees?

, ,

Hi,

I live in New York but have been staying with my family in Pennsylvania. I’m in need of a vehicle and am in the process of leasing a Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD at a local PA dealership - the car would be registered in NY. I was told I would need to pay the following PA fees:

$32 - temp plates
$5 - PA tire tax

As part of my calculation for the lease using the site’s calculator, I would like to include all anticipated NY state registration fees. Does anyone have that information handy? I’ve had some difficulty finding it on the NY DMV website.

Thanks in advance for your help and Happy Memorial Day weekend.

NY reg/DMV fees are like $300-400 and tax is charged upfront (rate depends on county, highest being nyc counties at 8.875%)

How good is your deal though?

Thank you very much for the info…linked below is the calculator. Based on your response, I assumed $400 would be added to the existing $37 in the “Government Fees” section. I’ve shopped a bunch of different dealers in my area and this was the best deal I’ve been provided. One of the dealers didn’t want to do a NY deal.

What do you think? Do I have more room to negotiate?

2020 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD + Preferred Equipment Package

Sub 6% discount isn’t great when you add the doc fee back but only you are privy to your local area and how competitive it is or isn’t.

Stepping back, do you qualify for any of the healthcare, teacher, frontline, etc rebates that are really big on some other brands?

And are you sure you will need the car for 3 years? Even after you move back?

Thanks…the background is we are a family of 4 moving to the suburbs at the end of June. We had been living in NYC but started staying with family once COVID hit to get help with kids while my wife and I work from home. I don’t know much about cars but have dug in pretty heavily in the last month or so - that led me here :+1:. In searching for solid/safe, fun-to-drive cars for families ~$300/month, I was deciding between the Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester. I ended up selecting the CX-5 cause I thought I would be able to get more bang for my buck. We’ll definitely need the car for 3 years, as we’ll be staying in the suburbs.

My wife is a teacher so she would qualify for an educator’s discount. Are you aware of which brands offer that? I’m all ears if you have any other suggestions around the $300/month price point.

Check out the Marketplace section particularly Volvo.

From a taxation standpoint, are you remaining in NYS or moving to a neighboring state?

300p/month 2k das might get you a v60cc, easier for a loaner. This is from a NY broker with PA tax and regi and MSDs. Assuming a Costco membership + first responder. Subtract 2k for no Costco membership, payment remains same with loyalty.

Thanks - remaining in NY state but moving to Westchester County. I think the tax rate difference might be slightly lower there. (8.375% vs 8.875%). Unfortunately due to timing of our move I would need to register the vehicle in NYC before the move.

I’ll check out Marketplace but Volvo XC40 might be a bit out of my price range. It seems like folks here are very high on Volvo, which is a brand that didn’t really pop in my research - am I missing something about them?

Unless it varies widely by country, registration is not 300-400. It’s about 160-170 for new and 75 to transfer plates.

https://process.dmv.ny.gov/regfeecalc/rrorEnterVehInfo.cfm

It all depends on what rebates you qualify for (Volvo).

For any brand, former loaners/demos/courtesy cars can be good deals if the discount is big enough.

1 Like

Registration/DMV fees in NY are NOT $300-400. Out of state dealers, especially PA, will not know. Even a few brokers here get it wrong from time to time…

Don’t let anyone tell you plates are $500, etc

It’s in the $200-$250 range for a PAS vehicle and that’s for 2yrs.

All this information can be found online…

Blockquote

thank you - appreciate the direct link!

thanks - yes, after plugging it into the NY State DMV site, it’s coming out to ~$221 pre-tax with original registration. Appreciate your help.