Lease Help - 2019 VW Atlas SE 4Motion w/Tech

Helping a good friend who wants to lease an Atlas. I know that some may say this a good vehicle to puchase instead of lease given the 6 year warranty, but he wants to lease.

Here’s where I’m at so far.

2019 VW Atlas SE 4Motion w/Tech
MSRP: $41,115
Selling Price: $34,900 - Discount of 15.12% or $6,215 ($2,425 Lease Cash per edmunds, $3,790 dealer discount)
Monthly Payment: $453 + tax / $477 with tax (5.5%)
Down Payment: $0 [Reg + Doc + 1st month DAS] – $657 + temp plates
MSD: N/A
Incentives: None

Months: 39
Annual Mileage: 15,000
MF: .000138 (Buy Rate from https://forums.edmunds.com/ )
Residual: 51%

Edited - Added calculator

I’ve contacted many dealers and have had several dealers tell me to take the deal above and that they can’t do that deal.

Any additional input/thoughts would be helpful.

1 Like

Best I’ve seen this month. Best I got is $4700 and I think that includes the lease cash.

Wow…$4,700 is pathetic. If you’re in the Chicago/Milwaukee area, I can help out a bit on Atlas’s I’m not interested in.

@AB_hackr yup, tell me about it. I’m not fully committed yet since I’m on the process of doing a lemon Buyback, If it happens this month then I need to finalize a deal, if not, I’ll eat for July numbers. I’m from California and that’s on a R line SE

For the price and features I would see what I could do on a Durango GT. I looked into the atlas and the dealers are crazy I don’t see them moving at all, and the gas mileage is terrible for the power you get.

1 Like

This was the second lease I did from start to finish and I learned a few lessons - see them at the bottom.

I always like to see when others come back and post the deal that they finalized. In the end, my friend had a very specific color combination (Black on Black) and had to have the Captain’s Chairs, which are pretty hard to come by in my area.

Here’s where I ended up on with an MSRP of $42,970:

MSRP: $42,970
Invoice Estimate via costcoauto.com: $40,91X (site wouldn’t let me add the both the $550 Towing Package and the $325 Trailer Hitch Extras, so I had to cobble a few other items on to get as close to the MSRP as possible)
Selling Price: $36,190 - Discount of 15.78% or $6,780 ($2,425 Lease Cash per edmunds 5.64% and $4,355 dealer discount 10.13%)
Monthly Payment: $464 + tax / $490 with tax (5.5%)
Down Payment: $0
Due At Signing:.$695 (1st month $195, doc fee $180, $25 temp. plates and $99 plate transfer). I added the $99 to the fees section of the calculator link below to pay for the plate transfer from the current lease to the new lease.
Incentives: See above - $2,425 lease cash per edmunds
Months: 39
MF: .00138 (Buy Rate per https://forums.edmunds.com/)
Residual: 51%
Free Delivery - roughly 2 hours from Chicago Suburb to Dane County, WI

I had a deal that was a better value in our opinion based on a lower MSRP and fewer options that didn’t add value for us (towing packages, etc.), and a stronger dealer discount, but it was not the first choice of color. This was on an MSRP of $41,395 - $465/month (tax included) and $500 DAS rolling in some of the doc fee and plates into the monthly.

Lessons Learned:

1) Ask them to deliver the vehicle
The dealer with the better offer advertised free delivery within 150 miles of their location on their website. I told the dealer we ended up buying from that another dealer a similar distance away was offering free next day delivery if I took delivery this month…I asked the second dealer to match the free delivery, which he ended up doing.

Getting the vehicle delivered is the way to go! You don’t have to go in and wait to do the paperwork or get nagged for any of the warranties they try to sell you. The big plus is that it keeps them honest - they can’t change terms when you arrive because they’re delivering the paperwork with the vehicle and if the paperwork doesn’t match the agreement that was confirmed by email, you can always refuse delivery.

In the future, even if I end up with a dealer that’s closer or even in town, I will push for free delivery or at a nominal cost just to save time and frustration.

2) Negotiate with the General Manager or a Sales Manager
I ended up doing this on the previous lease I arranged on a Subaru Outback for my parents. Generally, the internet staff at dealerships I’ve contacted aren’t empowered to desk a deal, so it’s easier to negotiate with a General Manager or Sales Manager instead. Some dealerships don’t provide this contact info on their websites, but usually I’ll receive a generic email from the GM or SM saying that you can contact them if you have questions…take advantage of this offer! It will save you time.

3) Ask for the Monroney/Window Sticker on any vehicle you’re really interested in
I came across lots of dealer websites that didn’t have actual photos of the vehicle up, or it wasn’t clear exactly which packages were on the vehicle. I saw several instances where the Trim level or the Interior or Exterior color wasn’t properly listed. The Monroney sticker is the final say regarding the vehicle build. Once I was in touch with an internet person, I asked them for the Monroney/Window sticker. Sometimes they would send me a substitute that didn’t include the packages with their cost, so be sure you get the real Monroney/Window sticker.

Good luck to all the hackrs! I’ll post a photo once it has been delivered!

2 Likes

Definitely on point and that’s what I did awhile ago with my Atlas,

MSRP: $41,810
Selling Price: $33,725 - Discount of 19.3%
($4,025 Lease Cash)
Monthly Payment: $419 + tax / $459 with tax(9.5%)
Due At Signing:.$1,000
Incentives: $4025
Months: 36
MF: .000138
Residual: 53%

2 Likes

Nice! The payment on the Atlas for my friend would have been way lower if we had the lease cash you did - an extra $1,635 would have been awesome!

@AB_hackr yeah, it seems like the lease cash in CA is higher than other states. your dealer discount is higher than mine but I’ll take it. 10% dealer discount is the target for this vehicle. Also, I was only looking for the FWD but the AWD is $4 cheaper. And I got lucky with the color combo that we prefer plus the MSRP is low enough to help me lower the payment. Thanks.

Great tutorial for newbies, I’m bookmarking it and pointing them here

1 Like

Thanks! I wrote my detailed post-mortem and lessons learned to help the leasehackr community which has helped me so much.

Yeah, thanks for sharing and making time to do it for everyone. Appreciate it @AB_hackr.

1 Like

398.00 per month. 12k miles. 39 months. 1st month payment taken care of. 1k out of
Pocket. 2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion with Tech and Pano Sunroof. Out the door.

Looking for a similar deal have all the numbers?

@AB_hackr thanks for all of the great info. I was pricing out a SEL premium yesterday ($51k list) and was given an insane quote of $710/mo. Good to know you have had success in the Chicagoland area, which is where I’m at well. Which dealers have you worked with?

I contacted every VW dealership in the Chicago and Milwaukee area. I had good quotes from Muller, Fox Valley, and Pugi, but I think a good deal depends on many factors. Have you figured out the MF, Incentives, and Residuals yet from Edmunds? With this info, you can figure out what a lease payment should be with a ~ 10% discount before incentives.

@AB_hackr thanks! Working with Muller now. We’ll see what they come up with. Hard to be worse than the first quote!

@jsgx4 How’s it going? Did you get decent quotes? Are you going to pull the trigger before the end of the month?

@AB_hackr The quotes were weak. Muller came in at $652. The residual is 55% and MF is .00151, which are both ok, but the problem is that VW doesn’t have any incentives going on in August. Maybe they will be better in July? Any ideas?

In the meantime, I’m also looking at the telluride (which is going for over MSRP!) and waiting on the 2020 acadia (I have a 2017 acadia whose lease is up in a few months).

@AB_hackr- Curious as what was the best sale price you came across with out in the Chicagoland area for a lease? Or better yet, best % off MSRP.