Lease extension and Registration renewal

I would like to extend my Mercedes Benz lease for a
couple of months, but my registration will expire and I don’t think it is worth paying the annual registration fee for two months. Is it better to:
Drive with an expired registration and risk the ticket?
Can a car with an expired registration be returned without consequences?
Return the car on time and get a rental? Rentals seem to be pricey.
I would appreciate your suggestions.
Thank you

Don’t think for an instant that CA is going to just forget about your expired registration because you turn the car in a few months later. They will come after you and take you to collections for it.

1 Like

Return the lease and rent from Sixt.
Sixt has very low weekly/monthly rental rates from LAX or Beverly Hills.

Sample dates - 4/9-4/16. 5-series for $196 prepaid rental. ~700 for a month.

2 Likes

Get a rental, not worth a risk like that.

1 Like

There’s no risk here. There’s a 100% chance CA will come after her for the back registration.

1 Like

Thank you all very much. I appreciate the feedback.

And the late fees start the first day the registration fee is late, and escalate from there.

Scroll down a bit from the top: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/vr_info#BM2512

1 Like

You can probably extend up to 12 months with MB…check your contract
Say you are waiting for the 2021 models to come out…maybe they’ll extend (2021 GLB-AMG 35)
You could file a PNO with the DMV-but if you drive and get caught the fees are not worth it
You never stated the reasoning for extending or renting??? Why not lease another vehicle instead of renting???

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

I was hoping to extend a couple of months as my son is home for the summer. Lease is up June 27th, registration up July 2nd. I was just looking to keep our 3rd car until he heads back to school at the end of August.

How much is your registration? Seems extremely nearsighted to even consider skipping out on renewing registration.

Have you gotten quotes from your local locations for Hertz/Enterprise/etc for a 2-3 month rental? Could be cheaper than 3-months of a Mercedes lease + registration if cost is your main driver.

1 Like

It’s CA, so probably $5-600

1 Like

So for two months you’re probably looking at-at least $500/mo for your lease payment, add $400 for registration=$1500 for two months…just get a monthly rental $300-400/mo (sixt, turo, etc) they run from $10/day and up, plus taxes/fees so probably $1000 for the two months…or just have him use public transport :slight_smile:

1 Like