Lease ending on xc90, is there any leverage for the hitch that was installed?

Hello all,

Our xc90 lease is coming to an end this September. Pretty early on in the lease we realized we needed a hitch and paid for the official volvo hitch to be installed (OEM, installed by a dealership, hidden/stealth). I was curious if there is any leverage I can gain when turning the vehicle back in. Can the value be added to the damage allowance? Can any value be applied to another lease? If anything could I have it removed so I could installed it on another one I lease?

Just curious as things get wrapped up.

Thank you!

You can remove the hitch and sell it private party.

5 Likes

I had this same situation when I leased an MDX several years ago. I tried to take the hitch off myself, but after three years the thing was partially rusted and they torque those on so tight you need an impact wrench (which I did not have) to get them loose. I asked the dealer if they could just take it off the returned MDX and put it on the new one I was leasing as the body style had not changed. Unfortunately I did not request this during the lease negotiations and once the deal was set they would not make the switch without charging me. So I left in on and moved on.

1 Like

I’ve gone through 2 XC90 and on my 3rd lease now and had a hitch on all of them. There really is zero value in it but since I kept leasing another XC90 I got the dealer to put one on the new lease. I got one at cost and the other was free, so able to help with a little savings.

1 Like

Always try to get the car with options you want so it’s residualized. Even if the dealer adds it for “free” that just means a larger discount was likely possible.

1 Like

I was told aftermarket items not installed at the port cannot be residualized and the total cost of the item is spread out over the lease.

I’m not sure if that is still the case though.

I wait till I get the number I want and ask him to throw it in.

That’s my point. You are paying over double for an item not installed by the manufacturer (assuming a 50% residual or greater)

1 Like

Finding a model with a Hitch in the sticker is rather difficult.

It makes it harder to sell as it’s to a certain crowd. (And it’s $1500)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.