Lease car maybe written off what next?

Not sure what state OP is in (I didn’t read far enough up), and I’m not sure if any other state has this coverage (PA invented it), but we have what’s called “Limited” and “Full” tort coverage options here. Limited tort is cheaper than Full tort coverage by about 15% annually, however, Limited tort severely limits what you can sue for in court should you have an accident. PA created this law to help keep down the Pain and Suffering lawsuits in the state.

It stinks you might lose the $3,000 you put down, but at least you won’t have to pay the Ford lease turn in fee of $395.

By the way, how much were you paying per month for the 2017 Edge Sport? If you were overpaying, you are saving that money now by not having to finish out the lease!

Thanks again for the feedback. Looks like i might of been worrying prematurely :slight_smile:

I was paying $530 for the Edge on 15k miles and $3000 drive off. We got into a bit of a rush, I didnt understand leasing etc, so I know we were paying well over the odds.

What has now shocked me is that apparently I will get some money back. I know my Ford payoff is $35,000 and if i asked the likes of Carvana etc to buy the car they would pay $28-29,000. Progressive have valued it at $38,350. So i guess they are paying what they think it would cost to replace ?

Well I would just lay back, drive the rental the at-fault insurer provides, and let the dust settle!!

Anyone can file a small claim, regardless what the reason is. It’s whether you win is the question. If you can prove to the judge that it wasn’t just an accident and the other driver was negligent, I think you may have a case there.

I know this is an old post. I’m playing catch up here. Like everything else about cars the answer is: it depends! In NY (a no fault state) you claim on your own insurance and pay your deductible. Your insurance company decides whether or not to surrogate the claim to the other company involved. If they feel you weren’t at fault that’s what they do. IF they win, you get your deductible back! As for the car rental every policy has a daily $ amount for x number of days. As soon as you tell the rental company it’s on insurance they check to see what that amount is.