Lease a Land Rover Defender?

I know inventory is low, but has anyone leased a land rover defender?
The 2021s should start arriving on lots early next year so thinking existing 2020s might be attractive to lease to clear dealer inventory.

Given it’s in its first year, not sure what residuals or other room exists to negotiate.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

1 Like

No, discounts are nonexistent, and why would they clear a hot product?

I’ve had 23 ground and had like 2 staying in inventory in the last 2 months and we’re at 14 now. They’re fine. If you want a defender just buy one, they used to go for G wagon level adjustments in CA.

I remember talking to @ethanrs when he was still at JLR and I recall a convo along “30k over or else you don’t work here tomorrow”; now they’re hovering closer to sticker, I’ve yet to see a better datapoint on LH for them.

The guy I talked to today at the dealership said they’re supposed to get a major influx of 2020s that he believes will finally catch up to demand and then pre-orders for 2021s should start soon too. So I’m only going off one dealerships opinion.

Different market, different strokes for different folks. I can tell you in the South dealers have had no issues clearing them.

2 Likes

Bay Area going for MSRP too. And it’s take it or leave it. They just keep moving so they don’t need to incentivize them.

1 Like

The issue right now is that inventory is low.

Until 2021s are out, dealers may hold on to inventory just to keep busy throughout. As they do that, they will be prioritizing profit and not volume.

When actual 2021s come into the dealer, the game changes, but perhaps not before.

1 Like

They’re at sticker all day long. LR Denver has 15 inbound unspoken for, LR Ocala has 9 on their website available. Honestly why anyone would ever pay over sticker for one is beyond me. We drove it and liked it more than we expected but it’s a smidge too small(third row is useless) and about 15k overpriced in our opinion

Even with 21s, my land rover dealers (yeah all 5) are shot out of inventory rn. There’s a reason I haven’t updated my sheet, I’ve run out of competitive, leaseable cars to sell.

Working on that for next month tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any word on when 2021s enter the dealers? Maybe this will finally lead to dealers trying to get rid of the 2020s.

Dont assume they’re going to blowout 20s just because 21s are coming.

It’s not happening right now. It will cheapen the brand immensely on a car that is hot.

If you want a Defender, you gotta pay. Expect a payment at or over $1000 (unless the build is a real turd) with upfronts at signing

just because the new MY is coming doesn’t mean they need to light these cars on fire

If there is a dealer dumb enough to blow these out in 2020, that means they don’t know how to sell, and that is the dealer to take advantage of :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree, I don’t understand it myself. It may be insanely capable, but most drivers of this car will never challenge it in the slightest bit to see it show how great it is. If that’s the case, why get it? Tire on the back gives me memories of cars I’ve never loved.

Cmon man is that a serious question?

Cache cache cache

People do not buy cars to use them to their full abilities

If that were the case, we wouldn’t need anything more than a couple hundred ponies

It’s fun, it’s new, it’s unique, it’s a throwback to a classic.

It’s one of my top 3 cars for next June when my lease is up.

Your question isn’t far off from asking why one needs an M car. It’s less about need and more about want.

2 Likes

I can’t debate you, you’re right bud.

1 Like

No no I wasn’t trying to be argumentative

I’m just saying, good cars will always sell. Really good cars will sell above asking.

3 Likes

IK your guys take care if you Mike but if you need a custom allocation at sticker I still have some. Trade a few defenders for SVRs? LOL

Buddy of mine had a brand new one when I showed up at his lake house today. They are super nice. His was a $65k sticker 4 banger. He has been waiting since release for them to be MSRP.

Local dealer in NC finally called him to say they got 5 more this week and they would be at sticker. Took 2 days dickering on his trade(Xc 90 inscription with 90k on clock) but he got it at sticker.

Do not expect to see these hit equilibrium, IE good discounts, until next spring and then it still may be minimal.

2 Likes

It really depends on the dealer, select dealers have policies to not sell over sticker. It just depends on the dealer and availability.

Hi all - given money factors change each month. How do folks negogiate for a MF that isn’t otherwise insanely marked up by the time comes in. Asking as I am planning on doing a custom build on a defender. But how do I prevent them from jamming me with a marked up MF in 3-4 months when the car arrives (as I presume they have leverage as I would lose my deposit)?

2 Likes

My neighbor’s mom just bought one (HSE at $75k). I took out my old '92 D90 and went through both. It definitely looks a lot better in person. I personally would get a P300 with the off road pack and use it like I use my D90. Then on Monday I can pack the kiddos in the back and hit up Wegmans.

I think these would definitely be a better buy versus lease in the current state of things. I’ll wait for the buzz to die down on them and for my Volvo S90 lease to up next year before I decide on that or a Grenadier.

2 Likes

A defender-esque 4x4 built by the company that builds

and the Ineos Grenadier with a BMW 6cyl in an ex Mercedes-Smart factory? Man that’s a mouthful.

1 Like