Last day of the month or Labor Day weekend for the best deals?

So the last day of the month is Friday August 31st, just before the labor day weekend. Do you think you are more likely to get a better lease deal on the Friday before labor day weekend, or last thing on Monday Sept 3rd just as Labor day weekend is coming to an end? Or maybe even Tuesday Sept 4th once all the crowds are gone and the dealers are trying to tie-up their last few deals?

the last day of the month thing is somewhat of an urban myth just like the 1% rule. If the dealers already hit their numbers for the month, they don’t have the incentive to go as deep as those who haven’t. To assume you can just walk into any dealer on the last day of the month and get your best deal just isn’t true. Most of the captives are extending Aug numbers to 9/4, so that’s when the “last day” would be, not 8/31.

Likewise, deal structures from the captives don’t change for a holiday. At best, you’ll get a few bucks more discount, but that’s about it.

The trick is finding a dealer who hasn’t hit his numbers yet, which isn’t easy.

3 Likes

Interesting points. I guess the last day of the month concept is that you’re more likely to catch someone that hasn’t hit their numbers towards the end of the month. You have suggestions on strategy to find that dealer?

Email a lot of dealers. The one that is most aggressive with pricing probably hasn’t met their numbers yet. Sales events around holidays aren’t special at all. The American people have been brainwashed by marketing into believing that these events are always better. Some automakers will add an extra incentive, but the vast majority of automakers do not

5 Likes

Most brands will make their August deals valid till 9/3 or 9/4. So that answers that question :slight_smile:

Alfa extended the quarter until July 5th to cover the 4th holiday. I got mine on the 5th.

Exactly. It’s all just BS. There are no special deals on holidays, just more people come out because they think there are. It’s much worse to buy a car on a holiday because the dealership will be very busy and it will take hours on end, probably 6+ hours just to get everything done versus that 1 or 2 it would normally take.

5 Likes

what about the beginning vs end of the month?

Search the forum. This has been discussed many times

Wow - helpful. Funny that when I went searching, the first thread I came across was one where your comments on this exact same topic was completely useless:

As I said in that post a few comments down (which got 7 likes so I think it was quite useful),

“It literally depends on the dealer as to whether or not the deals will be better beginning of month or the end of month. Rainy slow first beginning of month? They might want to move metal and offer great deals. Already made their quota 5 days before the end of the month? No reason to have loser deals on the last day of the month. Plain and simple.”

It depends on the car.
For GM cars, the best time to lease is typically when they run their lease conquest deals.
For Lexus/Mercedes/BMW they tend to target the holidays
For Volvo it is when they run their Costco/Sams club special

If you can combine Manufacturer Incentives with end of quarter rush at the dealership, you can have a real nice deal.

Nobody gets a good deal by dumb luck. It takes months to study the various options and incentives. For example, right now Mazda seems to have nice incentives. This is not a fact or brand I would have considered if not for reading the various posts about Mazda deals here …

1 Like

Just saying… pretty funny

Well you’ve brought up another concept I hadn’t considered. End of quarter… does that a make a difference to dealers?

1 Like