Keeping my BMW lease, best way to go about it?

I doubt real world value will be the same as KBB.

Estorill Blue, diesel and wagon?

Diesel wagons.

Color is irrelevant for the purpose of negotiations. Or, to be more specific, one needs to act indifferent between having a dealer resell this car from BMWFS or buying something else on the open market.

The OP likes his wagon in that color. My point was not many blue Diesel wagons and not for $28k with low miles. Hence, buying out his lease.

Not sure if you’re following the comments in the thread but if BMWFS won’t negotiate with you, your only other way to pay below RV is to have a dealer buy the car from FS and resell it to you as a CPO for a negotiated price.

So when you negotiate you act indifferent between colors.

Unless policy changed again, technically this isn’t allowed anymore. OP may not have much recourse but to pay pretty close to RV.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1281042#/topics/1281042

2 Likes

We bought out a MB lease and had 2 dealers competing for the best offer. Got $7k off the residual in the end. Shop around like the folks here are saying.

I have been following I guess I misunderstood your point, which I thought was to just buy a CPO one, not his car. As far as negotiating with the dealer, I believe you can’t do that anymore. My first X5 I got a great price and got it CPO’d w new tires. 2nd X5 even in 2016 negotiating was a no go. To me it seems like a win for the dealer CPO which cost them $2000 or so, but then the car is gone and they got (probably not any more) a kickback. I guess BMW thinks you’ll lease again?

Extend it as long as they’ll let you drag it out of the residual drop is higher than your payment on a dollar for dollar basis.

My F31 is a MY2017 and I ordered it to my liking with all the bells & whistles I care for. It doesn’t make much sense for me to get into a identical CPO car. The one 2017 F31 328d within 500 miles of me has 35k, about the same options, but non M-Sport and in Mineral Grey. It’s going for $40k!

BMW keeps track of the previous owners in the car’s inquiry report, often shown during a key read. They will know who the previous owner was. Dealers dont have any control over pricing to the original lessee. If the dealer is found to sold that car to the lessee for less than residual, then BMWNA fines them the difference plus a fine.

As @mp11477 said, I may have little option but to pay close to RV. The only bright idea was to extend the lease as much as possible and hold out for better incentives. Right now, 2017s are only starting to come off their 36-month leases, like mine. I’m hoping that in a few months time more 17s will flood the market and better incentives will be available. An extra two months isn’t a long amount of time, though.

They’re asking 40K for a 3yr old F3x lease return? Hope someone at the dealer needs a paperweight because that’s all it’s gonna be until they price it appropriately. Folks were getting these off loaner/demo service for the same or less.

I needed a good hearty laugh today! :rofl:

1 Like

Best to update this. Called BMWFS for the final payoff quote to see what December promotions are like. The customer purchase promotion is now $4500, it was $800 last month. So the payoff after using my MSDs from the lease is around $28k. Opinions? I dont think this is bad at all.

Why would you think of the price net of MSDs? That (the MSD) is still cash that can be used on the open market to buy something else.

Hypothetically if you had $50,000 in MSD and the payoff was zero, would you think of it as a free car?

4 Likes

I had an F30 and know how hard it is to find the F31s, let alone one with Msport/EBii regardless of engine. It sounds like you know it’s a hard spec to find and if there is an additional incentive then that’s probably your best bet. Maybe see if you can negotiate CPO status on top?

It sounds like you love the car and giving it up isn’t an option, so in that case the cost difference is probably worth it for the rarity. You may have decent resale value on it down the line only because it’s an enthusiasts spec. I saw a few on Bimmerpost over the years used and they always seemed to fetch close to their asking price if in good shape.

I have the option to use the MSDs for the payoff or just outright get it back. It amounts to $3500, so if I keep the MSDs the payoff is around $31K.

I was always planning to throw the MSDs into the payoff since the money was already with BMW and I kinda wrote off that sum when I parted ways with it. Getting the MSDs back would be a plus though, but would add about $60/month to my loan payments.

I finally bought out my lease as a CPO

What I ended up doing was extending my lease by two months, which the terms are very flexible. I already made 1 of the 2 extra lease payments when I CPO the car. I ended up with a slightly lower residual as a result, the remaining payment was forgiven and not part of the payoff.

After doing the math, the 0.99% @ 48 months from BMWFS and added cost of CPO-ing the car was a wash with the 2.74% from my credit union. I shopped around several dealers for the lowest CPO cost and eventually went with Jon Shafer at BMW Santa Maria, who initially leased me this car. In the end, here is how my deal looked:
Residual: $35521
Discounts: $4500 (Customer Purchase Promo), $500 (BMWFS CPO Loyalty), $3500 (MSDs)
CPO Cost: $1595

Final price out the door was about $31k. The CPO inspection was clean, nothing required reconditioning. Whole process including paperwork took only 2-3 hours. Decided to hold off on getting the extended warranty for a couple months, while I sort out some other stuff.

capt_slow, Where did the 4500 come from?

Also what is “household?” Say I turn my car back in, wait for it to hit lot, give my father the cash to buy and he gifts back to me? Seems like a lot of trouble except in Sept. I’m turning in highly optioned 2017 750 with residual ~ 61k. I am seeing similar on dealer lots for low 50s and dropping. I keep thinking of the 2014 750 I turned in, residual ~50k, watched as it sat on dealer lot where last price 40k before disappeared and after watching thought I would rebuy my 2017. 10k discount, CPO, new tires and detailed is fantastic! Not to be! What seems dumb about this, is that where I live (sf Bay Area) there are so many other low miles off lease 750 that I could buy.

$4500 was the incentive BMWFS provided to the lessee to keep the car. I think for 3-series it jumped to $6000 now because of COVID.

Household means anyone residing in the same address. All 7 series currently have a $12k lease-end purchase incentive. But you wont know if you get it until month of your lease end.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13351193&postcount=5

1 Like

revival. Do you happen to know if BMW is still incentivizing lease buy-out? thx

Not a chance with the way the used market currently is