KBB Calling out Nissan/Infiniti dealers for shady practices with lease buy outs

I just ran numbers from vroom, carvana and carmax. Two of the three are still offering $3-4k above our current buy out ( just looked at todays buy out, not the residual in 6 months when the lease ends ). The other one was only $1000 over buy out. We only have 26,000 miles on our 2019 Luxe, so that may be why we have equity still. If we keep it, i’d likely dump it before the warranty is up, which will be in years, not milage with how little my wife drives now. Will gauge the market and make a decision in Sept when the lease is ending. Thanks for the info

Infiniti Q50 lease up at the end of the month. Leasing dealer just called to ask what my end of lease plans were. Having read this topic, I asked what they would charge for facilitating a purchase of the Q50… $2,000 - $2,500! Went into this explanation of this would give CPO status and extended power train warranty…

Some cars are meant to be leased for cheap. They’re not mean to be bought because the depreciation is killer.

What are your plans for the vehicle?

What was the point of mentioning CPO status and all that?

Dealer brought up CPO in an attempt to justify their fee.

Have another car on order (non-infiniti). Will not arrive before current lease end. Figuring out to bridge the gap, likely will extend lease for a month.

Extended my Infiniti lease for 2 months. First rep I chatted with said they could only do for 1 month, second rep offered 1 - 6 months, but said they are only doing this due to the chip shortage and couldn’t guarantee that I could come back an get an extension beyond the initial number of months requested.

WELL WELL WELL……I just got off an online chat with Infiniti financial and they are now allowing New York lease holders the option to buy out directly from Infiniti financial and not go through the dealership. I guess all the negative press about dealerships charging thousands in buy out fees finally got Nissan / Infiniti corporate to act on behalf of the terrible customer experiences people were having.

If you live in another state that previously required you to go to a dealership to buy out the lease, i’d inquire with Infiniti about a direct buy out now.