Just Starting Out

Okay, so I’ve been lurking for a week or so and some of you are pure geniuses! Looking for general or specific advice here. Here is my situation:
Current lease expires 7/22/17 with Ford (C-Max Engergi).
Interested in doing a one-pay lease if possible.
Number of months not super important to me.
Make/brand are not super important to me.
I will only put 8-10k mi/year on the vehicle, so also not an issue.
I have two growing boys (will be 6 and 7 at this lease term) so I’d like something that can handle a family of four easily.
Tier I Credit rating
Live on the border of the south/midwest.
We tend to love all of the “extras” that you can throw onto a vehicle but aren’t impressed by a “brand name.”

Where should I even start? Thanks for taking the time to educate this noob.

OH! Maybe I should add that though I’m in a Ford, my husband is driving a leased Honda. I don’t know if that might qualify us for the Conquest rebate or not, since we do not plan on abandoning that lease (up 3/2019).

You should hurry and try to take advantage of the Chevy $3000 Asian Conquest rebate. It’s ending today, but may be available next month (no one knows until we are in April).

I just saw it was up today! That is a pretty nice incentive. It didn’t even dawn on me that duh, both of our names are on both leases so certainly it would count.

For most rebates, you just need to be in the same household (i.e. address).

Try to replicate one of the deals that are already posted here from chevy using $3000 Asian conquest that you apparently qualify for. Select a dealership in your area go there now and ask for that number. You can search their inventory to find one you like before going there. If you are lucky you will end up with a nice deal.

The Chevy Equinox deals seem to be pretty repeatable. I think your Asian brand lease has to be up in next 12 months to be eligible IIRC.

In addition to what @amin said, pick any Chevy you like from the dealer’s lot (tagged or not) and even if you don’t get the exact deal posted here, you will still end up with a killer deal. Just keep the dealer close to deals from here.

The 12 month thing is only for employees. Normal people just need a current lease (still active) and can end whenever

Only if you are getting GM employee pricing do you need the lease to expire within the next year.

My main hesitation is that I don’t want to rush it. I have time to work out/hold out for a good deal (no huge urgency even when my lease is up in 4 months). I’m JUST learning what all of the pricing components are and feel like if I rushed in there tonight with my kiddos I would mess up something huge! The husband would get home from work and say, “Honey, why do you now have two cars??” ha!

Understood. Some great deals are very short lived and this may be one of them. No one knows for sure though. Maybe in June/July, there will be even better deals. Just continue researching and keeping your eyes open to deals. Good luck.

1 Like

The $3,000 conquest lease is worth $125/mo (for a 24 month lease) and $83/mo (for a 36 months lease).

For example, if a car normally leases for $200/mo (24/10k) becomes > $75/mo (24 month). I think you can live with 4 extra months of payment as it pays for itself in 2.4 months. These are not rush deals (except if you don’t like the Equinox or Trax) but these are probably the best deals from Jan-Mar of 2017.

Nobody knows if this $3,000 will go into next month so your call :wink:

2 Likes

I understand what’s your point.

This is huge saving for people looking for less monthly payment.

But if lease up 4 monlth or more no need to rush and hooked with dealer.

They all have bait even honest transparent dealer because they are all working with manager or all have boss who sometimes says no that deal.

If you are not hunting penny save, take a time and make sure brand, model, trim, option, etc etc.

That’s my best advise.

1 Like

If you want lots of room a Traverse would be around $200-$275 per month.
An Equinox is ok for 4.
A Trax is VERY tight for 4.

Scour the chevy website with your zip and look for bonus tagged units, they give you an extra amount off as listed here:
http://www.chevrolet.com/conquest-cash.html

A Malibu might work also, since you would only have it for 2 years and your boys would be 8 and 9 when it was up.

2 Likes

Thanks. I really don’t know too much about them Chevys; my family always had Chevys when I was a kid but I’ve not ever driven one myself.

You should also have equity in your current Ford. Start there. Get it cleaned up and take it in for an appraisal. Last I saw, the residual on the cmax energy was really low so there is a good chance you can get some trade in value. A couple extra thousand toward your next lease!

1 Like

I want to say the RV was calculated at 17,000-something when we leased. I guess I could be less lazy and actually get the paperwork out. Anyway, even thought the mileage is low for the age and it’s in good shape, I think used prices tend to run less than that. Booooo.

Yes–$17,020.15 is the residual used in the calculation of the lease. So even though it only has 21,000 miles on it, I think there is no equity there.

Cute kid! And welcome- I would start negotiating on a new lease when your car is about 2 months or less. I would NOT tell them trade in or your current lease- I will hold off until the VERY end when you are presented with a reasonable deal. Then you go “I’m not sure what to do with my 2 months lease.” They’re going to eat those payments AND if you’re lucky- you will be able to avoid paying for excessive wear and tear.

3 Likes