Jeep In Service for Month- No timetable, What to do?

My wrangler unlimited has been having an issue where something is triggering the battery to drain every 2 days leading the car to not start… Naturally it was taken to the dealership twice and returned each time after a couple days because they didn’t fix the issue… now it just sits at the dealer

Jeep hasnt been helpful and the dealer service department just says it will get fixed "eventually."Every week rolls by and the issue is still not fixed. The loaner vehicle they gave us is a MINIVAN… So im paying 410 a month for a minivan now…

At what point will jeep be willing to buy me out? Lemon laws etc?? Is there anything i can do to get out?

Any insight or help will be appreciated.

Have you been assigned a case manager by Jeep?

If not, call in and ask for one and explain the situation at hand.

4 Likes

Contact a lemon law lawyer

http://www.lemonfreedom.com/

(516) 780-0760

Was just about to suggest this, hopefully OP has been supplied a comparable loaner.

You describe having a loaner car while your car is also sitting in the driveway awaiting a fix. This sounds like a FCA dealership that knows how to avoid a lemon law complaint (they are a FCA dealership after all). If the car was sitting at the dealership you would be there already but they probably returned it to you so it doesn’t count as being in the shop.

First thing I’d do is look up the lemon law in your state. If there is a number of days in shop requirement, then tow the car to a dealership and tell them you don’t want it back till the problem is fixed. Got to meet the requirements and then start hounding Chrysler. A lawyer is a good idea but will probably cost a bunch of money. Better to start yourself by making sure your car meets lemon law requirements.

No the car has been at the dealership

Well then I’d look at your state lemon law website and see what it says to do. Start working it yourself. I wouldn’t pay for a lawyer
yet unless the law has costs recovery provision. Lawyer would certainly help but you will spend many thousands in legal fees.

Update.

Jeep still in the shop… Chrysler came out and recommended it was the radio killing the car… 3 days later Jeep calls me and it didn’t fix the Problem still.

Colorado lemon laws I think appear to be up until a year. Unfortunately the car is past a year. Dealer and Chrysler has been useless… looks like I’m riding out the lease with a minivan :joy:

Can’t even sell it to the dealer with it not working.

It’s not limited to a year. Magnus and Moss Warranty Act still applies.
https://patricklaw.com/colorado-lemon-law/

You could try getting corporate involved if you haven’t done so already, although others have commented that it could have some impact on lemon law stuff. Then again it sounds like they might be dragging their feet so they don’t have to deal with it for a return visit.

Press for a comparable loaner? You didn’t lease a minivan and shouldn’t be expected to stay in one for an excessive amount of time.

If it’s too late for lemon law at least press to get some lease payments refunded for your trouble as well.

1 Like

They said we could only do a Chrysler loaner so only a minivan or a ram is what they have. And the ram is too big a truck for my mom

Very interesting! Will check into this! Thank you!

I have spoke on to people Chrysler’s end and at the dealership. Neither seem too worried or care at all lol. I’m going to have to ramp up the efforts to see what can be done

There are many lemon law attorneys, all off free consult as it’s very competitive. Best is always to give them an opportunity to resolve locally but if you’re not being given proper consideration you have little choice but to escalate the matter. Good luck with them.

I’d agree he should get a free consultation from a lawyer but you don’t hear much about the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act anymore. There is a circuit split about whether the arbitration provisions override this implied warranty but the law is definitely trending towards arbitration knocking out the federal law warranty provision.

This makes sense, the federal judiciary is as conservative now as it’s been since before World War 2. They are very pro business. I’ve even talked to some lawyers that believe state lemon laws may be in jeopardy soon. No statutory reason why they should survive the arbitration and choice of law provisions in car contracts.

1 Like

Before you begin getting into the legal world, try another dealer for a fix. Maybe they can get you back on the road.

An old trick to find a parasitic drain is to connect a meter to the battery and begin pulling fuses one by one to see what is causing the drain. When the offending component fuse is pulled, the meter will show it.

2 Likes

Im pretty sure my junkyard owning grandfather, RIP, taught me that strategy for figuring out what’s draining a battery. Although not something many people could do themselves these days and definitely was easier on a late 80s Buick than a modern car. But if dealership hasn’t done it already they aren’t likely to do it on OPs suggestion.

Another dealership is a good idea. Your current dealership may just not care enough to fix it/be willing to let you ride it out in minivan. Maybe the new dealership won’t want you in their loaner for months on end or could give you a better loaner.

This is what I had to do with my Sonata PHEV when I was trying to get it fixed. Selling dealer kept “not finding” the problem and putting us in loaners. Ended up taking to another dealer who actually threw parts at it but didn’t actually fix the problem fully.

2 Likes

That’s because back then, there were 8 fuses in the car in a single bank. Now there’s 3-4 banks of 20 fuses each.

2 Likes