Jaguar F-Pace - 1% rule possible?

I’m thinking of heading into a local (Seattle) Jaguar dealership tomorrow and seeing if I can beat the 1% rule on an F-Pace, like this one:
http://www.jaguaroftacoma.com/vehicle-details/new-2017-jaguar-f-pace-35t-premium-tacoma-wa-id-16634907
Looks like I have to get 18% off MSRP to make this happen-- anyone else have experience negotiating for an F-Pace and do you think it’s possible? Are there any incentives Jaguar offers? I haven’t been able to find any.

Here’s what I’m going for:
MSRP: $51,344
Sale Price: $42,000
Residual 36/10: 56%
MF: .00091
Driveoff: $983
Monthly: $455
Monthly w/ 9% tax: $496

I know this isn’t “hackerworthy” but I’m thinking even this might not be possible. The one thing I have going for me is there are three Jag dealerships within driving distance of Seattle. Thoughts?

This is very hackworthy. 455 before tax on a 51 k SUV meets one of the most important criteria for good deal. I believe the F pace diesel is lesing even better :blue_car:

Keep us posted on this. I have a lot of interest in an F-pace myself so I would love to see how the numbers break out.

Not “hackerworthy” in that the leasehacker score is 9.4 (sub 10). I want the F-Pace but I’ve never exceeded the 1% rule and I’m not about to start now.

My 2014 BMW i3 lease ($160/mo with $0 down) expires end of June, so I have a few months to try to work something. If I can’t make it happen this month, I’ll wait for May and then June numbers to see if they improve.

I’ll keep everyone posted but I don’t expect they’ll let their precious “car of the year” go for 18% off.

Agreed on all points…maybe in 3 years I’ll pick one up

I wish the OP luck though…

Is my math incorrect? 455 < 1% 51k?

Consensus is 1% should be including tax, but yes - even with tax it barely meets 1%.

I’m interested in the Fpace as well. Looks like the 2018s are just around the corner and preorders are already out. Should be decent discounts on the 17? Goal is to get about 380-400 with 0 down.

Which 2017 model are you trying to get for $400?

Yeah I’m trying to "hit"the 1% rule including WA State tax, wasn’t able to get it done this weekend, but perhaps May or June will be better. The salesperson at Jaguar Tacoma actually said “we don’t tolerate people who try to beat up the dealership”… wtf just b/c I was trying to negotiate? I’ve had dealers refuse to play ball in the past but never be so snooty about it.

1 Like

I don’t think $400/month (before tax) is likely even when they come out with the 2018 (looks like in June?) as that would require 22% off MSRP.

I’m trying to get the Premium 35t, which at $51k is the cheapest on the lot. The $41k F-Pace doesn’t exist and I haven’t found any sub $50k.

Wow. Just when you think you have heard absolutely everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have specific experience with Jaguar, but I can say safely that many dealers in the Seattle Metro area take the same approach from Kia up to BMW.

My guess is that there are so many people flooding the Seattle area that they don’t need to take low or no-profit deals to make their month.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had considerably better luck with virtually every make with dealers in Olympia or South into Portland.

Agreed, I’ve started my last three car-shopping adventures at BMW Seattle and have still bought zero cars from them. Usually they politely refuse to negotiate though, I was shocked at the diva-nature of this Jag dealership.

When I leased my i3 in 2014 I flew one-way to Spokane ($90 flight) and drove it 300 miles home. Worth it for $160/month though! Plus Spokane was willing to negotiate the deal entirely over email and phone–something the Seattle Metro dealers avoid at all costs.

I really liked the folks at BMW Spokane, but they were not able to get as aggressive as I wanted. I ended up at Kuni down in Portland and had a great experience - also negotiated over email except when I called to give my CC for a deposit.

Wow. Assuming you weren’t being rude, this is embarrassingly bad customer service for a sales organization.

I would say just move on. It’s true that we try to lease on the fringes here (deals that really aren’t very good/profitable for dealerships but good enough for them to agree to them under the right circumstances), but it sounds like they see your completely rational interest in getting the best possible deal as something offensive. Given that, they probably aren’t going to be as flexible as you need them to be. This is business - it shouldn’t get too emotional! Good luck!

1 Like

I’ve seen one for about 47 msrp. Runsak in socal said the best they could do is 569 zero down at 7500 miles. I’m not buying an SUV to go 7500. Might have to wait until jaguar SUV novelty wears off before buying one. Probably get an X1/x3 in the mean time.

I think the Jag dealers have their different 1% rule - they lease and sell to the 1% who have so much money they do not negotiate :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I definitely wasn’t being rude, it was kind of shocking when he said it. In retrospect I should’ve called him out but all I said was something like “I didn’t know negotiating was beating you up”

Besides those comments he wasn’t a terrible guy and we left on good terms (he called me back yesterday evening to see if I still had any interest.) Best part was that two sentences before his “no tolerance” comment he said, “Look, it’s the end of the month-- if you work with me I’ll sell you a car at a great price.” I think he meant a great price for him when he scoffed at my $400/month, $0 down starting point.

I’ll be really impressed if you can get anywhere close to 400/month. When we were looking for an SUV back in December, the F-Pace seemed to be one of the most desired SUVs and was going for MSRP pretty consistently. Hopefully now that it’s been out a little while the prices are finally coming down. Good luck!