Is there a rule against posting a bad dealer experience?

Yeah I called a Hyundai dealership last week asking about a 2018 Mustang Convertible they had on their lot listed for $25k. So they sent me an out the door package which included their $1,199 dealer fee and a $2,999 protection package.

Seriously? What exactly are you, a Hyundai dealership, protecting a Mustang on for $3k? Not to mention that even for Florida that $1,199 is crazy high. Most dealers are at $799-999.

I called them out on it and they basically said there’s no way of taking off the protection package and that there’s several people interested in the car. I also pointed out that it’s been sitting on their lot for 2 months and at that point the call basically ended.

4 Likes

Ah, the oldest trick in the book. “Hey I got a bunch of people interested in this thing. You might wanna jump on it now.”

3 Likes

Call them back a month later…

I’ve pretty much given up dealing with non-luxury brands now. Kinda tired of their shitty service. Luxury brands typically on average are a lot better but YMMV

2 Likes

Kia and Hyundai dealerships are the worst…but i’ve had some interesting exchanges with CDJR dealerships as well but not quite as bad as K/H. By far the best treatment i’ve received is from a GMC dealership who was totally upfront with everything and didn’t add any protection packages or other bullsh!t.

Even myself I keep getting different experiences when I go to same dealer, same salesperson again.

One guy gave me a good deal, everything is done on the phone even offered to drop my new car to my house. I recommended him to several people, they had great experience as well. Basically I made him lease 4 cars with my referals.

One year later for my second car. Terrible experience, didnt do business with him and won’t call him again.

2 Likes

Ouch. That hurts…

It’s kind of frustrating on the sales side. I’m sure you gave him 4 deals but they were probably 4 flats. In April I personally sold 30 cars. A dozen were through this forum and all were below msrp deals. It required working everyday but Easter.

Meanwhile my best friend in the industry sold 6 cars. SIX. All at 5 figure over msrp deals. He made more than me.

That gets incredibly frustrating.

2 Likes

I dont know if they were flat or profitable deals.
Personally I dont call a dealer/salesman bad experience based on the discount they offer. The reason he lost my business and will never get is:

When I told him what another dealer offers. He didnt belive me and said
" I know the numbers they cant offer what you say. If they offer you that price why do you even call me just go get it."

This is rude in my opinion and not right language to talk to a customer. If he just said i can’t give you that price I would be still checking with him next time I need a car.

He didn’t believe you because most buyers, not all, lie about the numbers they are given.

EX: last week I had a customer walk in I offered him $3800 below msrp on my xc60. He told me that he found a poster on leasehakr named “the volvo guy” who was pm’ed him offering 5000 below msrp.

I showed him the exact pm I sent him because surprise I am the volvo guy.

10 Likes

Hahahha thats funny.

He is entitled to his own opinion but he shouldn’t tell it to customer and accuse a customer lying unless there is proof (like you have in your case).

As i said the professional response should be i cant give you that price or dont miss that price it is good. I wouldn’t have a problem with either. I dont do business with people who mix their emotions to business and lose their professionalism.

Customers can lie, salesman lie too. You keep negotiating or quit negotiating no need to be rude.

Sure not the PHEV?

Lol. Ive been selling the plug ins for 3000 under msrp plus all rebates

Stumbled upon an old thread that relates to this topic. It prompted me to think that perhaps a better approach is for the customer to invite good dealer reps to join LH so the community can benefit from their good services ad leave good reviews, which in terms bolster the dealer’s business.

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/dealer-database-reviews/368524/5

1 Like