Is Euro Delivery returning for BMW/MB?

Agreed - I wouldn’t hold European Delivery in place of a proper European trip. To me a European trip is a completely separate experience from European Delivery. With one you’re spending time with a specific destination in mind, with the other your trip centers around the delivery of a car that you can then drive around Europe. It’s a different dynamic.

If I only had the ability to visit Europe once, I wouldn’t spend it doing a European Delivery. To me it’s a - I’ve already done some European trips, this is something different and exciting.

Standing in a long line at the Abercrombie & Fitch store… now that I don’t understand the appeal of

You know what I really enjoy?

A hamburger patty cooked in a skillet, smashed up into a pile of mashed potatoes, finished with a layer of canned corn.

I don’t expect you to understand that either. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m intrigued… minus the corn

3 Likes

I’d rather rent a car to beat on down the autobahn than do it with my own (retail purchase). Which would be the case if I was doing European Delivery because for a lease it’s kind of a waste, personally…

1 Like

Full disclosure, I’m saying all this never having actually done European Delivery. So it’s very possible it’s just a romanticized image in my head of what it would be like.

If I do the performance center delivery next year I’ll report back to let you guys know if I wish it was in Germany instead of South Carolina :grin:

1 Like

We know you have @trism hostage, since no mention was made of

free mustard. Where are you keeping him?

2 Likes

Mercedes is going to resume offering things such as “International Brand Experiences”, where you can choose a 5-10 day getaway, driving their cars (you cant pick up your car first, and then do an experience) through various areas in Europe, stopping along the way at fine hotels, great food stops, etc. They had something like this before but it wasn’t as robust. I think this is what they are thinking will replace European delivery. It does not sound like its coming back unfortunately.

2 Likes

I see. Thank you for the info!

Surely at a steep markup from cost.

Those of you that don’t see the value of taking a day off your trip to Europe surprise me. We’re car nuts here, aren’t we? The experience is truly incredible, and was among the top highlights of my trips both times.

The day of delivery is mesmerizing, with the tour where you see the 3 series being built right in front of you, from a scrap of metal to the final test drive, as just one highlight. The tour of the Welt is culturally educational and a blast for car nuts. The food and the gift shop a real treat.

Then, having a brand spanking new BMW as your free “rental car” is priceless. Driving through the alps or the Black Forest, or the Champs-Elysees - what a joy. Not many places in the US where you can take it up to130 and still be passed by Ferraris.

Definitely mourning the loss of the ED (and the 6M’s on the E60 and F10 that I got in München)

4 Likes

This isn’t a binary question, “Nutty” is just one value on the continuum of how to describe the way people think about cars.

About 30 minutes from where I’m sitting there is a Honda Heritage Center that offers plant tours during normal times.

I have no desire to get a Honda, but that would satisfy my desire to see how cars are assembled in a modern factory, and wouldn’t be a bad way to kill a rainy day.

In fact, I’m going to put that on my to-do list for when it re-opens.

In the unlikely event I want any BMW merch, I can always find it here.

Most here actually are not. People come here to discuss best usage of their time and money, not fawn over specific car models and trims.

I’m a car guy so I would totally love to do European delivery. The experience of gettingto the factory, doing the tour, learning the history, picking up the car, and enjoying it for a bit before shipping it is priceless to me.

2 Likes

Did 2 euro delivery trips on bmw back in the day. Loved it. Those who say it is not worth it have no idea what they are talking about. First off this being LH you could lease the vehicle. The prices used to be eu delivery price was less than us price. You could’ve used incentives and once you drop off the car at port, the 2nd you had no payment. 2 great trips all around Europe and 2 great leases. A 2011 z4 for $289 monthly with msd and 2013 ah3 for $375. Those were the days my friends. Bmw new killed the program and I wish they didn’t. Would’ve done it again.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, take a brand new car, which hasn’t gone through a break-in period, beat the shit out of it, and then keep it. Brilliant!

The ED is clearly a to each its own situation, but everything that’s listed as a pro, can easily be done without getting tied down with your own car. There is absolutely no reason you can’t rent a car and do the same drives.

1 Like

“still be passed by Ferraris” is the key here… right? :upside_down_face:

At what point did you rule out the possibility that others may have different interests and priorities than you do?

1 Like

I believe right around that sentence that you quoted :slight_smile:

Different strokes for different folks. You used to be able to get amazing lease deal on a BMW for less than US. You got to take European vacation where you can experience your car in tons of EU countries. Insurance was included for any damages, anything with issues were fixed at port before car was delivered. Listen you have choices in life, don’t want to. Don’t do it, but it was amazing option for those who wanted. Wish I could go a third time.

2 Likes

You could take a european vacation and rent a bmw to follow the same drive. I don’t understand the problem here.

If you decide to do that by all means do that. As car enthusiast, I prefer to experience my cars and no better place than the place they were built for. You can break in the car how it was meant to be, take it to nurburgring. Don’t get why I have to explain myself if you don’t get why it’s a special experience so be it. Rent a car and experience Europe. But to tell others it’s a bad idea, it’s just that, your opinion.