Is dealer playing games, said car was in stock, now not, trading in using Equity in my Toyota Lease

Thank you. I appreciate the input. Sitting here now, I wonder why he was not able to pick up the phone yesterday and ask if the car was available? I left there before 4PM. My term sheet does have a VIN number on it for a car they are no longer able to deliver. Given they cannot deliver this car, am I obligated in any way? Are they? We are in NY if it matters

I am mostly wondering if I should shop around and how easy it would be to get my deposit back if I find a better deal. I did this deal because I did not want to waste time and effort and now I feel like I am still unsettled so perhaps I should consider other options.

I have seen deals that were end of the month worthy, although I agree this one is not since it is really based on sucking the equity out of my lease return which given they have 41 cars total at a dealership that can accommodate 700, is unlikely to change in the next week. In 2010 I went with an older female relative to buy a new Accord for cash. They made her an amazing deal on April 29 (pre clunker rebate). She was not sure about it for reasons that were irrelevant. I told her we had to go back on April 30 if she wanted the deal. She decided to babysit her grandchildren instead. She called the salesman on May 1 and he said sorry! She ended up getting a very slightly better deal (we did) at the Honda dealership where she bought her prior 3 cars (15 years before) at month end a month or two later

Wow! Although her payoff may have been lower? Mine is over 26

Typically it is a responsibility of the sales manager to complete trades and sales person are often not allowed to take on this task themselves. No obligations from either party IMO. They couldn’t procure the car, so there is no reason to keep the deposit unless you want to try again. To me, it becomes non-refundable once a trade is completed since inventory is being swapped. So you can try shopping, but if you ask them to locate a car and they do, your deposit is forfeit.

I won’t get into end of the month deals other than saying there are so many factors at play, it is impossible to give solid advice other than shop like crazy. However, you probably won’t find as many willing to play ball given current inventory levels.

1 Like

They likely carry the same programs through the EOB on Monday.

@Cody_Carter, can you confirm?

Actually, I think it means the deal was better than I thought given the times! If it was a good deal for them then they would have made sure to get me the car!

There are not too many Toyota brokers on here that service my area and the one that I know does would be more. Everyone is suffering from the limited inventory. My spouse technically owns the car and they are leery of third party vendors that pick up and send you a check. CarMax which offered a decent buyout although not the best is 2 hours away and my spouse is not from the roadtrippers and they would have to sign, not me which is a huge hassle that I really want to remedy at some point but cannot now

May go hit up another Toyota dealer that I know they do not own and the Honda dealer, did not really want the Pilot but do not care that much

Am wondering about that, usually you have to pick up by Monday and the salesman said he would get back to me Monday, Tuesday at the latest. Does not mean he will actually have the car ready then

The dealer is burying some of your equity (no idea how much) into your deal so you can’t compare it to a Broker deal.

Tell your spouse to get in the car, suck it up and get it done.

This ain’t a roadtrip, we are not going antiquing.

If anyone’s going to get a new car in the summer of Chip, they better maximize tf out of the equity in the trade.

7 Likes

I thought Highlanders were built for road trips. Is this just not comfortable enough? It just seems you might be missing out on a more suitable vehicle.

2 Likes

Highlanders are, my spouse is not.

Weird thing, went to another Toyota dealer and asked about the MF. Edmunds quoted me something like .00235 which is 5.64% which is insane. I mentioned this to the manager and said I was thinking of financing instead (last month 2.9% which probably did not change). He said no, lease financing is MF .0016 (not sure of the exact number but works out to 3.9%). Is Edmunds sometimes wrong? The weird part is they have lower MFs on the same car for other states that are not near me

The numbers Edmunds has are for TFS. If you got drastically different numbers, it may have been with US Bank or a Credit Union - you would have to ask them.

Was he assuming with security deposits? Works out exactly to that with max msd, at least according to calculator.

MSDs are not legal in my state.

@jeisensc the best deals in my area are with TFS plus I am coming out of a TFS lease and they included loyalty in what they quoted me on the financing. While I did not confirm it, the Bank Fee was consistent with TFS. This was the manager not the salesperson. The salesperson was useless which is why the manager took over as I was walking out

On occasion, they are. There was a similar issue someone posted here with a tacoma recently.

Toyota also occasionally offers a normal rate and a subvened rate. Edmunds may be quoting one and the dealer the other.

Have you reached out to Jim? Even with delivery it should be cheaper.

1 Like

We were in a similar situation with Acura RDX back in June. Lease end was coming, despite getting help from Acura Corporate employee, dealers were not discounting their cars much and and won’t even do the national special advertising rate. Contacted closed to 10 dealerships and everyone played hardball.
We ended up extending the lease, car was way under mileage and had paid for extra services not used…
Then one weekend, a dealer called, said they would need to move one of the 2 RDXes on their lot on that day and MSRP was $43K. I said no and he said name your price. I said $16K total payout over the lease term and he agreed to it.
It was a higher trim car and no dealer was giving me lower than $18K total payout for a base trim at that time. Monthly payments ended up to be around $420 with $1K DAS. Tax rate was 9.5%.
You can wait but do let the dealership know that you can strike a deal at any time, have them put you in their pocket list for a deal when they desperately needed one.

No the Credit Union options destroy TFS on Highlander. What county are you in? I’ll see which CU you should lease with to get the best deal.

1 Like

Nassau County 11530 Thank you! I am coming out of a TFS lease and this would be our third Toyota if that matters

@Dai-Lung_Liu out of curiosity what day of the month was it that they called you? Any idea what the reason? We have an Acura dealer that I like but the deals are simply crazy now. $629 for a base MDX plus taxes, fees and DMV

I signed a deal last week for a specific car which is no longer available. They want me to pick other colors but honestly I really am limited in my color choices. Given that I am paying more than usual I really want what I want (nothing extreme white with beige). I know this is exactly the wrong attitude now but I cannot help it. Worst, part another local dealer that I did not visit until Saturday, sold two on Friday night (I met one of the older women buying it so not a sales pitch) and they are not getting any more in that color for awhile

The key is finding a dealer that works with the CU(that’s also willing to discount), especially some do purchases with them but not leases.

What about Union County NJ? And do the credit unions allow lease transfers with no future liability?