Is cash a problem?

I have a car on order that I know I am going to need to pay MSRP on, but I would like to pay cash (for business reasons).

I am starting to wonder if the dealer is going to give me a hassle, since I didn’t mention this earlier. In the current market he can make more money off someone else.

Should I wait until the very last second to mention this? Or should I start the conversation now? Car probably has about a month before it arrives.

I might be over thinking this, but this market is just odd right now.

You are definitely over thinking it. Cash won’t be a problem.

1 Like

Would be prettty crazy for a dealer to have a strong reaction or cancel a deal based on you paying cash vs financing

Only exception I have heard is that some CDJR dealers who low ball customers will only allow purchases if done with their marked up financing.

3 Likes

Are you really buying a vehicle at MSRP with no incentives??

Typically it’s the incentives that are dependent on particular method of financing.

I’ve had CDJR dealers reject affiliate discount if I didn’t finance with them.

2 Likes

Whatever this mystery car is that you are probably trying to take a Section 179 deduction for: don’t show up an hour before closing if you are bringing a mattress full of cash - it all has to be counted (often by 2+ People) and vouchered. If it’s a check, no big deal. If it’s CASH, when they call that your car is in, give yours salesperson a heads up then.

2 Likes

It’s just an escalade, but they are being sold for $10k+ over msrp in some markets. Any lease or finance deal will probably get them over msrp, which makes me question what their reaction is going to be to not make any fees on the car.

1 Like

There is almost no way to predict how one GM might react to a particular temptation (ie take a higher offer, make back-end on the finance, etc)

1 Like

I agree and understand that, it’s just nerve racking, because it’s a car we need and it’s not like I have many other dealers I can go to right now and get this without waiting another 6 months.

It’s annoying that I have little to no leverage here.

You ordered this car:

• did you pay a deposit?
  • do you have something signed that this is the build/price?

If you are writing a check, you don’t have to say anything other than you are planning to purchase.

1 Like

No deposit, only thing in writing is the email I sent with the specs for order, and the reply that he submitted with the order number.

6 months ago msrp seemed like worst case scenario, that has changed in the last few months. Never thought about signing something to agree to msrp.

Did you specify during the ordering process how you were going to be paying for it?

Nope, but at the time I wasn’t sure if I was purchasing or leasing.

Then I wouldn’t expect it to be an issue at all.

1 Like

I agree that I can’t imagine it being an issue.

You could always call the dealer this week and casually ask something like “what are the finance rates this month, trying to decide if I want to finance it or just pay cash” and just see what they say.