Is BMW hurting?

The CX-5 is shockingly good, especially the interior and driving feel. The old X3 was outdated beginning it’s 2nd year of production and from what you said, the new non-M X3 suffers from the same problem - overpriced, under delivering on what should be a special car.

Especially when it comes to safety features. Notably the blind spot monitor is absent except on $50k+ MSRP trims. Insane.

I agree. I bought the new Mazda 6 in 2013 for $23K and it had a backup camera and blind spot monitoring as standard equipment.

BMW may not change incentives mid month but the dealers will throw extra discounts in there to move metal …

Honestly the 3 series not offering rear traffic alert might be the reason I choose a c class.

I moved in late 2016 from my 2013 S60 T5 to a 328i. Not that I hate my 328 but very soon I realized what a great car the S60 was. I still prefer it over the 328i.

Just curious, what did you like more about the S60?

Of limited use today since the S60 probably has changed significantly since the 2013 model year but one of the things that has turned me off about the current set of Volvo offerings is their front wheel drive setup.

The S60 was much more comfortable to drive on long rides and had similar power. Seats are much better and the interior is much more refined. I had an AWD version if that makes a difference and I don’t think that the driving dynamics of the 328 are much better.

I also hate the turn signal stalk of the BMW. After over a year driving the car it still drives me crazy and I can’t operate it properly. Its amazing how a simple thing that never bothered me in any other car can affect the quality of my daily commute.

People always complain that certain brands are too quirky and odd. Saab always had that reputation. In some ways BMW has some odd quirks too. If you don’t like them they will drive you crazy. It took me a couple of months of BMW ownership to understand the climate control system. Now I see it as a feature but I could see how someone else would be pulling out their hair dealing with it.

I find the base BMW seats to be terrible. If your 328 doesn’t have the sport seats then I’m 100% confident the Volvo ones were far, far superior. I find that I have now have zero tolerance for crappy seats and it is one of the things that will take a car off my shopping list.

1 Like

I have the sports seats and a turn signal operation should be as simple as it gets. You push the lever up to turn right, move it back when you are done. In the BMW, the turn signal is actually tiring (you have to use some force to turn it on) and the opposite direction is activated each and every time I want to switch it off.

You can push in the same direction to deactivate

1 Like

You may be the first person in the history of automobile production to lodge a complaint on the turn signal stalk.

Oops, replied to the wrong person…that was meant for @al74

I know (it took me over a month to figure it out), but after 25 years, your hand is programmed to do things in a certain way.

Hmm, I think i experienced a very similar issue when I rented a Ford Flex. Having never driven anything with similar operation before, I agree with you that it was odd and uncomfortable.

Bmw won’t have any deals on the new X5 once released for a while I’d bet.

My wife’s xc60 lease is ending in December and I’m pretty sure we’ll be getting an xc90 or x5.

I’d actually be content getting an ‘18 x5 assuming there are some screaming deals to get them off the lots once the new model arrives.

A white x5 with m-sport trim and black wheels is absolutely beautiful.

New X5 I believe is Q3/4 release so lease support for 18s should run till dec/Jan I’d think

Exactly, there won’t be deals on the NEW X5 but there will be deals on the OLD 18 X5.

I have been getting emails from my BMW Dealer about every 10 days! This week I’ve received an email with offers every other day! The latest one offers 20% off MSRP on 2016 and 2017 loaner vehicles.

I still have 13 months left on my 330e lease! Makes me wonder how good of a deal I could get trading up to a 530e…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Huge BMW fan, but no Android Auto?

2 Likes